Local Talk

Moving from London to Brighton - what do you miss?

(10 Posts)
Ava10 Mon 02-Sep-13 09:46:51

What do you miss?

Do you tend to go to London much to go to galleries, shop still or not bother?

Love to hear your thoughts...

brightonmermaid Mon 02-Sep-13 19:57:35

hello - I've been in Brighton for 13 years and the only thing that stopped me going to London was the school run etc. Now my dd is old enough to do playdates straight from school I go much more often. My top tip is to not try to do too much in one visit - I tend to do one exhibition + lunch or show + dinner or shop + lunch!!! At first I'd try to cram all my catching up in one bulk session and it left me exhausted and not enjoying it at all! The things I miss are exactly that - galleries, big shopping areas, theatre, big architecture etc....I find that little and often does the trick and as I adore Brighton it's a happy compromise. Good luck!

Ava10 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:43:50

What a lovely answer brightonmermaid - you seem to have summed up things perfectly! I love it - little and often and will def take on your advice of not trying to do too much. thanks - your thoughts make me feel a bit more confident about making a move!

brightonbug Fri 06-Sep-13 23:37:36

London weighting grin

only go to London to visit family these days

WilliamPoet Tue 10-Sep-13 20:11:50

I work pt in London so still get it when I want it. I have taken advantage of having to have a season ticket to go on off days to Tate and/ or to Borough market, my favourite trip is Brighton-Waterloo, Hayward Gallery, walk along South Bank and end up at Borough. Regularly go to small quirky museums near work. Going up for a half day is plenty with small DD, am quite happy to go to Borough and back and nowhere else with her, or to visit work smile

Applepicker Sun 15-Sep-13 22:50:04

Borough market and John Lewis

missmiu Tue 17-Sep-13 13:09:36

Is there no John Lewis in Brighton?? :-O

Sherryfortea Mon 23-Sep-13 20:12:49

Museums and art galleries in the winter and authentic restaurants that are good.

notsorockinhippy Thu 05-Dec-13 00:23:06

My friends, sometimes galleries etc, but I still have membership, which makes me go more often. I really struggle with London itself now though, once you've been here for years, you lose your London armour & its hard up there without it, people are so in your face & rude, I don't miss that at all.

Love it here though smile

Rhubarbing Fri 20-Dec-13 12:43:48

I don't miss it at all. When I have to go there now I shudder at the filth and rudeness.

We go to the big museums once every few months, which is nice. It's as often as we used to go when we lived there, so no change with that. I prefer the shopping in Brighton, personally, although it would be nice to have a decent department store.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now