Local Talk

Woodingdean

(7 Posts)
nrv0us Wed 09-Oct-13 10:20:22

I am very tempted by the house prices/sizes in Woodingdean, but there's not much else about the place that appeals to me. Am I missing something?

I'd love to hear from people who live there -- what do you like/dislike about it? Would you recommend it as a place to move with two children? Does it feel like Brighton is right next door, or does it feel like it's worlds away? Also, I know that Longhill School is going through some changes, but it'd be great to hear from people with first-hand experience about whether it's a decent school.

Thanks!

Hi nrv0us

Just wanted to say hi and I'll put out a shout out on Twitter for you to see if anyone can help - I don't really know Woodingdean very well myself but I do know you get stunning sea views from up there!

Are you based locally or thinking of moving to the area? I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon!

Nicola

Nikadi Sat 12-Oct-13 09:15:50

I lived in Woodingdean for a while, I liked it smile 20 minutes to town by bus, 15 to the seafront by bus too. Beautiful walks on the downs a five/ten minute walk no matter where you are in Woodingdean too.

I was under the impression that secondary schools are on a lottery system? Has that changed?

It used to be a lottery system - I'm pretty sure it's changed to an equal preference system now - see the council website for details www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/children-and-education/school-admissions

Nikadi Sat 12-Oct-13 11:49:28

Ah, they've actually changed it now then? I knew they were talking of it. I think somebody told me that at the last meet, I may've forgotten thanks to alcohol consumption blush

MrsPatrickJane Fri 18-Oct-13 22:10:08

I don't live in Woodingdean but my son goes to school there. I always think if we moved I wouldn't mind going there at all, the stunning views and the open feel of it would be enough for me, it feels quite rural, there are often horses being ridden around the place and of course it's right near the racecourse (I grew up there, Elm Grove area so it's an old haunt). However the traffic from Falmer seems to have got a lot worse recently. I have to allow much longer to get to the school if there is a meeting.

MrsUnderwood Thu 31-Oct-13 11:55:27

'Ello.

I live in Woodingdean- moved here over a year ago after years of living in the town centre.

I only have a baby so can't speak for the local schools but I love it here! Brighton is a very quick and pleasant bus journey away, so it doesn't feel isolated. There are lovely views of the sea and the Downs and lots of open country around. Since I've moved here most people I've met have been really nice. The only thing I don't like about living here is the busy crossroads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now