Local Talk

Private school entrance

(10 Posts)
Guitargolly Thu 17-Oct-13 22:13:37

Help! I'm thinking about trying to get my daughter into Brighton and Hove High School for girls. She is currently in year 6 at a local junior school and private school was never an option until her uncle announced recently that he may be able to help with the fees... I don't really know where to start in terms of preparing her to sit the 11+ entrance exam and I can't seem to find a good 11+ tutor in Brighton. I'm worried that she won't have a chance of passing without some intense tutoring (academically she's level 4c across the board at the moment and displays dyslexic tendencies). Can anyone recommend a tutor or pass on any help or advise. Shoreham College is also a possibility although it's further away.

brightonmermaid Fri 18-Oct-13 17:54:21

Wendy Quelch is good I hear - she is on First Tutors I think but google her name and she should come up. Good luck

sasspuss17 Fri 29-Nov-13 12:47:45

BHHS are absolutely hopeless when it comes to any form of SEN provision; that was my Dd's experience two years ago under the old Head and the provision has actually declined under the new one.

notsorockinhippy Thu 05-Dec-13 00:10:42

We've also heard very bad things about BHHS, we've been there for out of school activities & there's a very bitchy atmosphere to it, put us right off as it backed up what we had heard.

brightonmermaid Sat 07-Dec-13 08:32:21

sorry to say I have also heard B&H not good for someone with Dyslexia. Have heard Shoreham is good, as is Lewes Grammer.

Guitargolly Sun 02-Feb-14 12:23:19

Since my first posting a few months ago, my daughter has been offered a place at Brighton and Hove High (for Sept 2014). I'm now concerned about the comments regarding very poor SEN support and the last thing I'd want to do would be to place her in a school where she felt bottom of the class and unsupported. Does anyone have a child at BHHS with SEN experience. Also, we're still thinking about Shoreham College which felt very nurturing when we looked around it recently. Any help/advise appreciated!

brightonmermaid Sun 02-Feb-14 12:48:12

If you did decide to go for B&H you should voice your concerns/it's poor SEN rep to the head before accepting the place. If they know that this is your primary concern I am sure that they will do their best to keep this in mind and it might ironically result in your daughter getting better than average support!!

Guitargolly Sun 02-Feb-14 14:08:31

Thank you, that's good advice - I'll do that. Incidentally, when we looked around on Open Day a few months ago, I certainly felt that there was no clear strategy with regard to SEN provision. I had a rather awkward conversation with their 'Head of SEN' who seemed to have inherited the title with very little relevant experience.... Does anyone out there have daughters at either BHHS or Shoreham College preferably in Year 7 or 8 who might be able to tell me a little more. Thanks!

sasspuss17 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:29:03

My Dd joined in year 9, 3 years ago. She has very mild Aspergers and really required very little input from the SEN (or The Invisible SEN, as we learned to call her), just a little kindness and understanding if she seemed unhappy. Too much to expect, it seemed. I know of quite a few year 7's with dyslexia who have withdrawn their girls due to the complete absence of support and snarky, critical teachers. The bitchiness of the girls is really quite mild in comparison to the attitude of some of the staff.

brightonmermaid Fri 07-Mar-14 07:00:19

I've heard on good authority that B&HHS is not good with SEN - and as my daughter has dyslexia I've struck it off my list. I've heard good things about Shoreham College though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now