primary / infant schools in Kemptown area advice needed please?

(7 Posts)
maziazi Wed 13-Jan-16 23:09:31

hello, sorry if I sound a bit clueless but in September I need to apply for a school place for my three year old as he'll be eligible to start this time next year.

I'm not sure if the correct term is infant school or primary school for this age, anyway - I am looking for the right school for his age when he starts age 4.

I have no clue about any of the schools in the area and if getting into them is impossible!

Our nearest is St Marks school which I understand hasn't got the best Ofsted report but is it an ok school? I heard it is C of E - we're not religious so don't want him being indoctrinated by too much religious talk but not sure it's going to be like that anyway. Is it a bit rough around the edges there? Is the quality of education and support for the kids good etc? If anyone knows anything I would be grateful.

I've also heard Queens Park school (which is not too far) is good but as we're closer to St Marks maybe we'd have a lower chance of getting in?

If anyone has any suggestions as to the best application procedure and schools as well as thoughts on our local ones I would be really grateful.

Many thanks :-)

PS I am also a single parent looking to meet up with other parents (single or not!) with kids the same age so if anyone is interested please PM me :-)

BrightonVeryBreezy Sat 23-Jan-16 19:53:44

Hello maz - Things may have changed since my days of being concerned about primary schools but we were also in the logical catchment for St Marks and I wouldn't have put my DS there I'm afraid. It may have improved in the intervening years - that I can't say for sure. We had to appeal the decision and we elected in the end to send him to St Pauls - also C of E but not heavily so and it turned out to be the right choice for him. It's a bit further away - just up near the old Children's Hospital but an easy bus ride on the number 7. A friend had great success with Middle Street and I do know quite a few who were happy with Queen's Park. Good luck whatever you decide smile

maziazi Sun 24-Jan-16 12:15:42

oh thank you for the info BrightonVery, really appreciated.

how long ago was it you made your decision around the school?

do you know of any particular reasons why the school seemed so bad?

I'm going to take a look around it soon as I think I have to view it in person to make a decision but it's good to have as much info as I can.

I'll take a look around the other schools you mention as well... :-)

dyslexicdespot Fri 29-Jan-16 13:32:47

The big question is when does you LO turn 5?

The deadline for primary school applications for sept 2016 was the 15th of January. You could can still submit a late application!

maziazi Fri 29-Jan-16 16:25:21

he turns five in nov 2017, so we have to apply by sep this year i believe (as advised by the council)

dyslexicdespot Fri 29-Jan-16 20:20:17

If he turns 5 in Nov 2017, he should start school in Sept 2017. That would mean that you should apply for a school place in Jan 2017. I could be wrong of course!

Either way, you have plenty of time to visit schools and get a feel for what is right for you and your LO.

Good luck!

Kef81 Tue 26-Apr-16 20:01:43

Hi there, I am in exact same situation as you! I too need to select a primary school for my son in September and am already panicking about it because I am trying to find the catchment I'm in. Does anyone know how it works? As when I searched schools like st Luke's and Queen's Park it said I wasn't within the catchment, when I looked further into this I actually couldn't find any schools that were within catchment!?!?, I live in kemp town the closest one is Brighton college!! Which he won't be going to due to my bank statements!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now