Local Talk

Cleeve House School?

(11 Posts)
flute123 Sun 08-Jul-12 11:12:28

Hi..just wondered if anyone had any experience they could share with this school?
Thanks!

crazymum53 Sun 08-Jul-12 19:43:14

Don't have first hand experience, but live just round the corner and know a few families that send their dcs there and some retired staff.
Are you considering it for nursery or reception?

flute123 Sun 08-Jul-12 20:02:26

Thanks for your reply - do the families you know seem positive about it?
We are thinking reception as might not have moved in time for DD to join nursery, but if most children join at that point and we are in Bristol it would be nice for her to go to the nursery there. Are most of the children local to the school?

NoPinkPlease Sun 08-Jul-12 20:05:33

Secondhand info I heard was that if you're paying, you should find somewhere good! And then from someone else that it was fantastic! I know it's traditional - definitely one of those to visit and check it's right for your dc as I think it would some and not others smile

I do think they have v silly uniforms - the costs look huge on the little ones - I live a few hundred yards away so see them all the time.

NoPinkPlease Sun 08-Jul-12 20:06:04

Coats not costs grin

crazymum53 Mon 09-Jul-12 08:28:34

The families I know seem positive about it. There are lots of dcs that live locally - I spot a lot of them walking to school. It is also quite popular with commuters too! The uniform is very old-fashioned (and expensive) and they insist on it even for the smallest nursery pupils. Advantages: very traditional teaching methods, small classes, MFL language teaching (French) from a young age, good extra-curricular activities especially music and dance, very good record with Common Entrance at 11 (the majority of pupils go to independent secondary schools in Bristol at the end of Y6).
Disadvantages: they finish at 3pm (which is earlier than local state schools) and you may have to pay extra for after-school care, they do not have any "green" space so do sports activities at local parks, they do cater for SEN but this may be limited, they have long holidays compared to state schools, some pupils (including 2 families I know) transfer to other independent schools before the end of Y6.
There is a shortage of primary school places in Bristol and this may have increased it's popularity, but the general opinion locally is that Hillcrest primary school is the better school. It's catchment area has shrunk a lot over the past few years. However it does have a very different ethos e.g. no uniform at all.
Moving into the area part way through the year may not be a problem as they seem to have regular Open Days and may have nursery places available.

crazymum53 Mon 09-Jul-12 09:29:25

Need to add that the families that moved their children before Y6 were still happy with the school. One moved their younger child to Junior department of an independent school when their older child started at the Senior school.
Another child moved to go to boarding school.

flute123 Tue 10-Jul-12 18:36:02

Thanks so much for you replies...lots and lots to think about and really helpful! smile
Very interesting re cleeve house v hillcrest - will be visiting them both, along with Torwood House and Clifton High so if you have any other knowledge that would be great! Thanks again

flute123 Tue 10-Jul-12 18:37:48

also, the green space thing...not ideal, but does hillcrest have anything green? I'm a fan of traditional teaching though, and uniforms seem to appeal in this house...older DD fell in love with a school based on its uniform and it took a lot of persuasion to change her mind!

crazymum53 Wed 11-Jul-12 08:32:38

Hillcrest doesn't have a green space within the playground but have spent a lot of money on equipment. They use a local park too. West Town Lane primary school, which has recently expanded to 3 form entry and does have a uniform, has its own on-site green space grounds. Other local state schools such as Knowle Park primary and Victoria Park primary also have a uniform too so the non-uniform is unique to Hillcrest locally. Was really comparing the grounds with primary departments of Clifton High school and Clifton college which do have access to green space nearby.

crazymum53 Fri 27-Jul-12 14:48:15

Update on Cleeve House school has been recently rated as "Good Across All Areas" by OFSTED. This was in the local paper. For more details see OFSTED website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now