Local Talk

MOVING TO BRISTOL SOON

(8 Posts)
Karenmum2Mysha Tue 14-Aug-12 10:21:45

Hi everyone.
I am moving to Bristol very soon as start new job on Sept 10th. Will be moving with my husband who will be working from home and my little 1 year old daughter.
Looking for a place to live that is close enough to Cabot Circus (work) and looking to rent 3 bed house (or flat with garden) up to £800 pcm.
I grew up about an hour away down M5 so whilst I know Bristol, I don't know it to live...if you get what I mean.
Any advice?
Also any one know what the phone reception is like in Bristol? I have GiffGaff which is basically on the O2 network. My parents have rubbish reception but in London no problems whatsoever.
Finally...How much roughly is a day of childcare (registered) and regular nursery? ..trying to work out the rough guide compared to what I am paying now for my childminder.
Many thanks and hopefully meet some of you in Brizzle ! yayay

Karen x

IfElephantsWoreTrousers Tue 14-Aug-12 10:27:54

Hello
Bristol is great - welcome!
You might like totterdown/windmill hill which is walking distance to the centre and has some good schools - though most 3 beds will be 850pcm ish, there are a few at less than 800 but you won't be able to be too choosy. Other than that you are going to have to trade-off between grotty houses/areas that are close to the centre or nicer houses with a bit more of a commute.

IfElephantsWoreTrousers Tue 14-Aug-12 10:29:40

Oh and as to other qs - we are on orange and rarely have reception problems, and our nursery is c£45 for a full day.

feepee Wed 15-Aug-12 14:35:20

I am in Bristol and use GiffGaff. I've never noticed any problems. I've generally found the O2 network reliable most places I've been in the UK (except remote areas of Scotland!).

I imagine you would be quite limited in areas to live in Bristol on the budget you have and the requirements you want. I would have a look on Rightmove, there are filters for price, garden, numbers of bedrooms and you can see results on a map so you can see where you're likely to find a supply of properties that fit your requirements. You can then maybe focus some research on these areas...

We pay £50 a day for nursery (in Westbury Park/Redland area).

Rubirosa Wed 15-Aug-12 14:46:18

Look at Whitehall, Redfield, St George areas - 3 beds with gardens for around 750, beautiful park, loads of young families and all the softplay and toddler groups that goes with it. You could walk to cabot circus, or it's around 10 minute by bus or you can cycle to the centre on the cycle track.

plipplops Sat 25-Aug-12 20:10:48

I live in a village about 10 miles south, and nursery was £41 a day when DD was small

saggyhairyarse Sun 26-Aug-12 17:41:11

Cabot Cirus very easy to get to from Bedminster/Southville/Tottedown. Good nurseries at Southville Centre and Windmill Hill City farm. I'm on O2 and only have problems where I live but I am right by the estuary wink

TheArmadillo Sun 26-Aug-12 19:08:17

second Rubirosa's suggestion - nice areas not too expensive. Easy to get into town. Lots of young families.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now