Local Talk

Good location for a very child friendly cafe?

(15 Posts)
spookycharlie Sat 12-Jan-13 20:18:15

I have been thinking of opening a cafe for a while.

Freshly baked cakes, good coffee and great customer service. Healthy food but tasty at the same time.
A space where mums can relax and chat and kids can have fun. I have so many great ideas to make it unique and to help mums keep little ones occupied for a few hours without spending loads of money. I would love for it to be a part of the community and to have regular customers who come back time and time again.

My problem is that I dont know where the best location is. I am based in W-O-T but there already seem to be enough cafe's there and in henleaze. Gloucester road is full of cafe's too.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

blondiedoll Sat 12-Jan-13 22:47:25

Hanham could do with anything baby friendly! As could the surrounding areas of Kingswood, Longwell Green, St George...

I know it's the other side of Bristol from you, but west Bristol is saturated with cafés that are baby friendly - us east Bristol folk have to travel miles or miss out!

peppapug Sun 13-Jan-13 18:08:40

another vote for east bristol here. im in redfield/st george and there are loads of mums and babies but really only one cafe on the main street- church road, cafe grounded - which could really do with some decent competition as its overpriced and the service is terrible.
i think something like youre describing would do really well here.

spookycharlie Mon 14-Jan-13 14:37:06

thanks for your replies! They are really helpful. Is there anything else you would like in a cafe? I would really like to provide somewhere that is a home from home for mums. I could really have done with somewhere similar when mine were babies.

I went for a coffee today in kingswood and was thinking it would be a good location as the cafe that is currently there was overflowing with customers and it was not very child friendly at all.....think there could be a space for me smile

spookycharlie Mon 14-Jan-13 14:41:43

st george is an option I hadnt thought of. Thanks smile

JenBristol Mon 14-Jan-13 19:59:42

There used to be a place on Sandy Park Road called T Cup. It shut down and I ways think it would be a great place to turn into a child friendly cafe.

MeandMilo Tue 15-Jan-13 11:39:43

I second the vote for on Sandy Park . I have just moved up the road from there and was very disappointed to see that it had closed .

DemisCAKES Wed 16-Jan-13 17:20:14

I vote kingswood! Also I'm trying to start selling homemade cakes to the public so if you would ever consider having someone make all your cakes for a set price give me a shout ?

charlottekatherine Sun 20-Jan-13 12:51:32

I think kingswood would be a good idea, Clifton and the west of Bristol already have plenty of places like Caffe Clifton (my latest find, the little one love climbing on the beds) www.caffeclifton.co.uk but i struggle to find places out that way.

HealSayEnvy Tue 05-Feb-13 16:09:46

I don't think Henleaze Highstreet has 1 childfeiendly coffee shop?! Costa is too small for more than 1 buggy and Kondi you can't swing a cat, let along a baby sad

cecfolk Tue 05-Feb-13 17:46:35

There's a great place to go in Crofts End Road, St George called 'George's Coffee House'. It's run by volunteers at Crofts End Church who are all very friendly and welcoming folk. Children welcome. It's slightly off the main roads of the St George area but once you find it you'll definitely want to go back again! Coffee is Fairtrade and the food excellent, all freshly home cooked. I especially recommend the carrot cake. Open Wed/Thurs/Fri from 11 until 2 so a good time between school hours for those who want to meet for a coffee or light lunch. There's a website: www.georgescoffeehouse.co.uk or a Facebook page: www.facebook.com/georgescoffeehouse. Try it out and see what you think

blondiedoll Fri 08-Feb-13 14:48:16

Kingswood :D If you ever want a cuppa when in kingswood let me know and I can meet you for a drink and a chat!

I think an actual cafe that is open most days rather than a 'drop-in' time a few days a week is a fab thing and kingswood is on main bus routes!

LilyBolero Fri 22-Feb-13 20:27:31

Henleaze high street would be good, especially with the gym classes in the URC - I bet loads of mums and toddlers would go for coffee afterwards. And the current cafes aren't particularly geared towards children.

emoo777 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:53:16

I think Henleaze / west bury on trym really need somewhere like this. Full of lots of yummy mummies with money to spend wink

LittleRockersSoftPlay Tue 05-Mar-13 19:54:18

Watch this space for a Henleaze coffee place! Can't spill all the beans at the moment (and don't want to contravene MN guidelines!), but come June there may well be a spacious, friendly soft play pop-up cafe; yummy food and proper coffee ;)

Keep an eye out for our posters going up locally in the coming weeks; find us on facebook or message me to be added to the mailing list x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now