Local Talk

Where do i start off Selling celebration cakes and cup cakes..???

(6 Posts)
DemisCAKES Wed 16-Jan-13 16:36:38

Hiya I have been making my own celebration cakes and cupcakes for awhile now for family and friends and would like to start selling them to public but have no ideas where to start?? Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas??

Chimpdance Sat 19-Jan-13 13:09:48

I would suggest glos rd would be good as it is a Mecca for independent businesses and there isn't a shop like this there. It is also easy to get people to travel to as everyone knows it.
The downside is the rents are probably high for those reasons so it may be higher risk.
Have you though of maybe teaming up with an existing bakery or deli who don't do this and sell via them? If you can work out a deal, that would reduce your risk substantially.

DemisCAKES Mon 21-Jan-13 13:26:36

Well I was thinking of doing it from home just need customers!

Oystershells Mon 21-Jan-13 15:18:37

If you want to go down the route of baking from home, have you investigated whether your kitchen is ok so far as your council would be concerned and do you have the current food hygiene certificates etc

Bex112 Sat 26-Jan-13 22:37:05

Oystershells is right. Once you get into it the red tape with food preparation is a nightmare. PLUS... not to pee on your bonfire or owt but the market is completely FLOODED with cupcake companies at the moment. It's all in the marketing of course so I would invest some time doing some web research in how to market your company and invest in a good designer to come up with a decent brand - otherwise you're in danger of being lost in amongst all the other cupcake companies. A good place to start is the entrepreneurs circle - there is one in Bristol. Go to www.nigelbotterill.com and sign up for the free "how to" videos that give you some good tips and if you decide you would like to join let me know - I am a member so can hook you up! A good place to start selling would be at local events and fayres - keep your eye on "what's on" internet sites for your local area. I don't know whereabouts in Bristol you are but there are loads - then try and get yourself a table at some of the events. Give out free trials and get people to give you testimonials on how good your cakes are and then plaster those testimonials ALL OVER your marketing. I hope that helps a bit? x

liizzeey Mon 28-Jan-13 10:14:14

You could advertise your cake making my site www.perfectfind.co.uk. It's an online local market for locally made products. You can post on it some examples of your work on the site, set up a shop and then customers can contact you directly. If you have a facebook or website I can link to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now