Local Talk

so who is waiting to find out about Reception places here then?

(32 Posts)
studentmidwifemum Tue 16-Apr-13 17:07:03

Bristol MNers biting their nails sign in here!

DS is DC4 so not too worried but you never can tell....

mrsdutch Wed 17-Apr-13 11:42:43

waiting here also but a sibling place...still nervous though!

studentmidwifemum Wed 17-Apr-13 11:54:54

Can't wait for Friday. This is nothing compared to DD1 applying for secondary this year though. Thank goodness they aren't on the same day.

We've applied to the nearest school for DS, not the one his sisters are at but as we're only 50m from the school we should be ok.

Where are you mrsdutch? We're in Bishopston.

mrsdutch Wed 17-Apr-13 17:35:46

we are in westbury on trym smile
not looking forward to secondary applications at all! Still have a few years to fret about that though!

BambinoBoo Wed 17-Apr-13 21:30:49

Signing in with my nails chewed down to the bone. Good luck everyone.

studentmidwifemum Thu 18-Apr-13 09:41:29

Bambino why are you so worried? Are the schools you've applied for very over subscribed?

One more sleep!

Russianred Thu 18-Apr-13 15:16:48

Anyone applied for the Bristol Cathedral School primary Have just received an email offering DS a place there. No idea what to do - we're in Westbury on Trym/Henleaze and close to another excellent local school. I know that sounds like my diamonds are too big, but honestly, have no idea whether to go for it or not. Will be a total unknown.

BambinoBoo Thu 18-Apr-13 17:05:12

student schools all oversubscribed plus our 1st choice is a catholic school on the strength of my baptism (DH is CofE) so all hangs on baptised kids and siblings above us on the criteria. Plus we're just at the border of south Glos so hoping we're not left without a place from either council as 2nd and 3rd preference are in s. glos. Only lived in Bristol 3 years and have heard horror stories about primary allocation ever since. Ah well, as you say, one more sleep. Good luck for yours.

studentmidwifemum Thu 18-Apr-13 20:13:10

TBH Russian it's going to be a royal pain, you will be stuck with a heck of a school run for a minimum of 5 years. I'm sure it's going to be an excellent school but if you are near a good local school I would go for that purely on convenience.

Bambino, wow that sounds stressful, are your DC baptised as Catholics?

studentmidwifemum Thu 18-Apr-13 20:28:42

I went in a frenzy of excitement to check my emails then realised that you would have had an email from the school not the council blush

Did you apply for BCS through the council? I'm just thinking that if they have offered your son a school place and it was your first choice then there is no obligation for them to offer you another one.

BambinoBoo Thu 18-Apr-13 20:51:06

Hi student no, DS not baptised yet. Long story. I am hoping that he gets in under the "child of catholic parent " criterion.

Russianred Thu 18-Apr-13 22:49:05

Because it OS the first year, they were running parallel applications, as they haven't got DofE approval yet. O still find out about our other options tomorrow. Yes, logistics are our only issue really. It's looking ahead to the secondary issue. As a pair of secondary teachers, the knowledge that he would go on to the senior school appeals massively.

studentmidwifemum Thu 18-Apr-13 23:32:37

Ah I see. Nice that you have the choice then. Dare I ask where you work and/or what your opinion of RG is?

Is it a definite that he would have a secondary place if he goes to the primary school?

Russianred Thu 18-Apr-13 23:41:53

I did some work at RG last year. It's nice, but that is because if the intake. I wouldn't say it's the best teaching I've ever seen. I'm in South Gloucs now, my husband is in a North Bristol school.

Russianred Thu 18-Apr-13 23:43:07

They've just changed the secondary admissions policy so that the primary would be the feeder school.

MildMildWest Fri 19-Apr-13 06:31:37

S Glos here, but just over the border in Hanham. Good thing I didn't bother waiting up til midnight to check the website as the blooming decisions still aren't posted.

<nailbite>

Hope you all get the results you're looking for, folks

BambinoBoo Fri 19-Apr-13 07:00:03

Hi mildmildwest we're in Fishponds just on the border to South Glos -two of our preferences are in SG but applied under Bristol. My stomach is doing somersaults. Lets hope that we hear shortly after 9am rather than them stringing it out for the whole day.

Fingers crossed everyone!

MildMildWest Fri 19-Apr-13 07:42:31

Yes I think 12am might have been a bit ambitious (although they heard at midnight in London wink )

I need a distraction!

studentmidwifemum Fri 19-Apr-13 07:55:43

Emails for secondary places came out just before 9am this year.

MildMildWest Fri 19-Apr-13 08:37:18

We got our first choice!

MASSIVE PHEW

fingers crossed for y'all

BambinoBoo Fri 19-Apr-13 08:43:22

Well done Mild, that's brilliant news. Are you under S. Glos.

MildMildWest Fri 19-Apr-13 08:58:01

Yep. The offers are on the login section of the website, we haven't got the actual email yet.

Apparently N Somerset have heard too.

No news from Brissle then?

studentmidwifemum Fri 19-Apr-13 09:24:52

No email yet. Off to check website

studentmidwifemum Fri 19-Apr-13 09:28:50

Yay got first choice!

studentmidwifemum Fri 19-Apr-13 09:29:28

Fantastic Mild!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now