Where to live in Bristol?

(15 Posts)
shopaholic85 Wed 03-Feb-16 18:38:39

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me?

My husband has between Bath and Bristol, so we are making the big move from London. Initially, we started our house buying search in Bath and the surrounding areas, but haven't found anything suitable within our budget. Also, viewing anything has been tough as I am still living in London and my husband is renting near his work.

We are now looking to buy in Bristol as this would be closer to family. We are looking for a 2-3 bed house for £265k. We could stretch to £280 for a 3 bed that needed absolutely nothing doing to it. It's just me and my husband, but we are trying to start a family. So schools not an immediate issue, but will be in the near future.

The only houses on the market that I like in our budget seem to be in the Redfield area of Bristol. What's this area like? We currently live in Lewisham (South East London), which is a little rough around the edges, but we have lived here quite safely for the last 6 years and it has been a great investment too.

Thank you smile

shopaholic85 Thu 04-Feb-16 13:28:17

Oh dear. Bristol property market moves quickly doesn't it? All the houses I liked in Redfield are now under offer.

So tell me about Brislington... There are a few properties in the 'Sands' area within our budget. Is this too far out to feel like we are actually living in Bristol?

Thank you smile

crazymum53 Thu 04-Feb-16 16:02:10

If you mean the Sandy Park area of Brislington that's fine. I would say it's easier to get to Bristol city centre than Redfield actually and there are also good primary schools and local shops along Sandy Park Rd. Also easy to get to Temple Meads station for commuting to Bath (or bus service along Bath Rd).
Yes the Bristol property market is moving very quickly at the moment.

shopaholic85 Thu 04-Feb-16 18:03:01

Thanks crazymum. Yes, I meant the Sandy Park area. We are viewing a house we like this Saturday so that's reassuring. It's a big move for us so don't want to make a mistake, but very conscious that we have little time to think about a property after viewing it in Bristol.

Campaspe Fri 05-Feb-16 19:02:54

I know Brislington very well and think it's a lovely area to live. It's conveniently placed for Bristol, Bath and Keynsham and has good local amenities. It has takeaways, supermarkets, a cinema, a lovely little library, good primaries and a surprising amount of green space for a town so near the main road. Google Nightingale Valley and Eastwood Farm to see more. It's a very friendly place; if you're on FB, put "Brislington" into the search box and take a look at some of the local pages/groups to get a feel for what life is like here. If you would like to ask any specific questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

shopaholic85 Fri 05-Feb-16 23:26:12

Thank you Campaspe. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. My husband has a car, but I don't drive. Will I find it hard to get around?

Campaspe Fri 19-Feb-16 19:13:00

Sorry, I've just picked this up!

It is very centrally located and there are regular buses every 15 minutes into the centre of Bristol or Bath. Not being able to drive shouldn't be a problem.

shopaholic85 Tue 23-Feb-16 14:57:10

Thank you and no worries.

We are now also considering Clevedon and Porishead as it's my DH's dream to live by the coast, and it would be closer to my elderly MIL.

I might start a new thread about this as have no idea whether these towns will suit us.

scamp76 Wed 24-Feb-16 19:41:18

Hi @shopaholic85 if you're used to South East London living I'd suggest that living more centrally in Bristol has more to offer than coast. We initially moved from London to more rural area and it was hard work! Now live off Gloucester Road and love everything being on our doorstep and great parks. There are houses that are in your budget in Ashley down area worth lookin at. Good luck! X

shopaholic85 Sat 27-Feb-16 15:56:19

Thank you scamp. DH has fallen in love with Clevedon so it has moved right to the top of our list. Will keep the Ashley Down area on our list because you never know.

Campaspe Mon 29-Feb-16 19:03:04

Well, Clevedon is different but rather lovely! Good luck with your move.

givemeaclue Tue 01-Mar-16 13:25:00

If you don't drive then clevedon will a challenge as it does have lots of buses but they all take a long time to get anywhere as they stop at many places en route. Definitely ned t o get a car and pass driving test to avoid feeling isolated.

apple1992 Mon 04-Apr-16 16:23:36

MIght be tight with your budget, but maybe look at Southville/Totterdown/Lower Knowle. The area has become quite 'trendy', has a nice high street, local parks, places to go out and very easy to get into the centre. Also easy to commute towards Bath for your husband.

I'd recommend places north of the centre (such as Bishopston), but crossing the city centre is a nightmare and so your husband's journey wouldn't be great.

Zingytoad Sat 16-Apr-16 17:04:21

I hope you don't mind I just picked up this thread as my family are looking at moving back to the Bristol area - we lived in southville which I loved but need good secondary schools so we're looking at areas south of Bristol backwell etc any suggestions would be great

givemeaclue Wed 20-Apr-16 14:27:56

Zingy, Backwell, , chew valley, gordano and clevedon schools are all very good.
Nailsea is on the up. St Katherine's is less popular.
If you wanted to live in southville again then if you are religious st Mary Radcliffe is excellent. Cathedral school is lottery banded so slim chance of a place but again excellent school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now