Good Primary chool/Location to Live NORTH BRISTOL

(6 Posts)
eoreilly Fri 04-Mar-16 21:31:41

I will be starting a new job in the Bristol Business Park / Filton Road end of March 2016. We would like to make a choice regarding where to live based on good primary schools. We have been looking on the However it only gives us an idea regarding the ofsted report really. I am happy to commute to work as long as my children goes to a good school within walking distance. We have one 5 year old and one 3+1/2 year old. Watermore school at Frampton Cotterel and Sherston COFE School at Sherston has available places as well as available houses to rent nearby. Also Colerne School near Bath.. If you can let me know regarding these schools or any other schools that I should check as well as best areas to live with kids that would be greatly appreciated. I am happy to commute up to 20 miles from Bristol Business Park. Thank you so much in advance.

lovinglapland Sat 05-Mar-16 09:30:05

I have friends with children at Watermore in Frampton and they are very pleased with it. It has a good local reputation as well as a good Ofsted report. I would also suggest that although you are prepared to commute for work I would think you would in the long run appreciate the much shorter travelling time from Frampton rather than your other 2 suggestions. You don't say if this is a local move but Bristol traffic is pretty awful during rush hour.

eoreilly Sat 05-Mar-16 15:19:07

Thank you so much for your message. It really helps to get a local advice... We have been outside the country for the last 4 years and was living in Devon before this so very new to the area.

I will be working for Boeing in Bristol Business Park so may not be considered as Filton I guess.

We like the idea of living in a rural old area with easy access to the city... Hence have been looking at Sherston, Marshfield, Colerne etc... Also schools seem to have better results and reports there ( is what I used for research) But if the traffic is bad it will be a problem...
In Frampton Cotterell we will see a school called Watermore Primary school. Is it a good one?
Also in Frampton Cotterell there is The Manor Coalpit Heath Church of England Primary School and Frampton Cotterell Church of England Primary School... Are they any good? Do you know?
In Winterbourne we do not seem to be able to a property we like to rent at the moment.
Thank you so much again.

Brizzle987 Mon 14-Mar-16 15:33:43

Sherston, Marshfield, colerne are all going to be relatively long commutes for you once you take into account the traffic. Not to say they aren't nice areas!
Don't know about the schools you mention but the area is nice. You could also look at other villages around the Yate and Chipping Sodbury areas. Also look up the A38 towards Thornbury/Almonsdbury and even beyond as there are lots of nice villages there.
Bristol traffic is horrendous you will spend lots of time not moving very if you are trying to get to pick children up it pays to think about commuting time. 20 miles is quite a long way once you have taken Bristol traffic into account...

maxbem30 Mon 21-Mar-16 09:23:08

Check out rangeworthy

ShelleyF2016 Thu 21-Apr-16 13:41:43

I live in Thornbury and the three main schools (Crossways, Manorbrook and St. Marys) are all excellent, with St. Marys being excellent rated and the other two are good.

Thornbury is a lovely town with fab community and lots of things to do for the kids.

Rush hour traffic to the filton area is bad in all directions but it's a pretty straight shot up the A38 from Thornbury - I would budget 30 mins if travelling between 8-9am and 4.30 - 5.30pm, or 15-20 mins if outside those times.

If it helps, I am a letting agent covering the whole of Bristol and South Glos so let me know if you need any more advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now