Secondary schools near Willsbridge / keynsham/longwell green area

(9 Posts)
slgc77 Sun 22-May-16 10:02:57

Hi we are thinking of buying a house in willsbridge/bitton area. its a few years away yet but we want to make sure we are in a decent catchment area for secondary schools (daughter currently at primary in bath)
We are quite new to the area anyway. Was concerned that the closest secondary school according to Rightmove is rated by ofsted as inadequate (Bernard Lovell). This is of course likely to change in the next 5 years but has anyone go any general advice about schools in that area, how easy it is to get into a decent secondary. Because I work in Bath (and daughter has friends there) I also wondered whether it would be impossible to get a place at a secondary there.
And what's it's like living in willsbridge area more generally?
Thanks so much for any thoughts!

Beentosbl Sun 22-May-16 20:49:22

We've been to this school twice looking for my son. He starts in September. We all liked sir Bernard lovell best out of all the schools we visited but went for our nearest school. Hanham woods, old field, and John Cabots all are ok. I'd move there with no concerns at present. Good luck!

crazymum53 Mon 23-May-16 13:53:17

John Cabot academy in Kingswood is lottery entry and therefore takes pupils from a fairly wide area. There are 2 secondary schools in Keynsham Wellsway obtains the better results (if that is what you are looking for) and has the smaller catchment area and Broadlands is OK (and fairly likely to be undersubscribed) with wider catchment.
Bath schools there is Hayesfield girls school (girls comp) which has a good reputation. Also Oldfield School (co-ed) which again takes pupils from a fairly wide catchment area. You may possibly live a bit too far way for other Bath schools e.g. Ralph Allen (co-ed).

lovinglapland Mon 23-May-16 18:07:31

If you live in Bitton village I think you can usually access Oldfield School - any closer in towards Bristol and then I think you'd find yourself in SBL area, which wouldn't be my choice. I'd rather have either of the Keynsham schools, with Wellsway being first choice, but I think you'd need to be in Keynsham or Saltford to access it.

Beentosbl Mon 23-May-16 18:46:59

I'm in East bristol and old field is actually undersubscribed and people who chose it got in, even though pretty close to Bristol City Centre.

This year John Cabot took a lot more from the local area.

Best advice is as always to go and see them. You will have choices, I'm quite sure.

slgc77 Mon 23-May-16 19:12:26

Thanks for your replies, it's really helpful. Does anyone live in/near Willsbridge? Is it a nice area? Good community feel? Young families? Seems like a good location in terms of being close to Bristol and Bath and countryside on the doorstep

crazymum53 Tue 24-May-16 11:28:06

Don't live there myself but have friends with families who live in Cherry Gardens area of Longwell Green. Good local facilities with leisure centre/swimming pool, shopping centre and good for walks and outdoor activities e.g. willsbridge Mill.
Other posters are correct that Oldfield has been undersubscribed for some time but pupil numbers are going up so this may not continue to be the case in the future. It should be OK from that area though and there is a bus to the school.

MildMildWest Wed 25-May-16 08:06:31

I've always liked the look of Willsbridge but like you, I've wondered if it has much of a community. I know kids from there who attend Hanham Woods which seems to be locally well-regarded especially since it's become an academy.

slgc77 Wed 25-May-16 08:36:17

Yes, that is one of my main concerns, sounds like we wouldn't have to worry about schools too much. Also started looking into flood risk, I understand it is quite high risk round there...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now