Portishead primary school

(8 Posts)
Neil123456 Tue 21-Jun-16 12:19:24

We're looking at moving to Portishead (from Bristol). But it looks like the primary schools are massively oversubscribed. Looking around lake-ground area so Portishead Primary would be the closest.

Son would be ready to start primary in 2 years time. Would really like to hear from Portishead locals how things are looking - how far are kids having to travel for primary school, are there any more schools / extra places planned in future?

givemeaclue Tue 21-Jun-16 12:50:45

Hi, the school places are being very well managed. Some schools have expanded and some have bulge classes. It's a few years since anyone had to travel out of area,you can of course get the stats from the council on that they can give you full,information on how many applied for each school,and how far away the furthest child offered a place lives etc. Secondary school is expanding and is outstanding. There are 5 primaries. All are good or outstanding. It's a small town none of the schools is more than 10- 15 minute drive from the others. I know of no kids that don't attend one of the five primaries in the town. Some of the primaries are part of an academy with the secondary. All the kids from the five primaries end up at the secondary as well as a couple other nearby schools.
It's a great place to live if schools are your concern.

Neil123456 Tue 21-Jun-16 13:10:01

Great to hear, thanks!

I was looking at Portishead primary for last year, where it showed only 19 kids were admitted based on location, from a total of 60 places. The rest were siblings (39), care (2). www.n-somerset.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Portishead-Primary-School.pdf

So figured the odds were against us!

givemeaclue Tue 21-Jun-16 14:14:21

Yes you may not get that specific school but you would be very unlucky not to get one of the local primary schools and they are all very close to each other and all very good schools. People in portishead put their three schools down and know they will get one of them. It's a few years since pupils were bussed out of the town. In portishead it's best to consider it as picking three schools rather than one.

Neil123456 Tue 21-Jun-16 14:46:13

Great stuff. Thanks very much.

HRHwheezing Tue 21-Jun-16 18:22:48

I've taught in portishead.

It's a lovely primary school. Does lots of creative learning. I do supply so I get to see lots of schools.

I really liked portishead

Neil123456 Tue 21-Jun-16 19:23:13

Great to hear HRHwheezing.

But.. looked like there were 296 applications for places and 19 kids got in (who didn't already have siblings there). So don't want to get hopes up we would actually get in!

But sounds like overall the chances are good for getting somewhere in Portishead.

My wife wants to move to Chew Magna though.. boo!

HRHwheezing Tue 21-Jun-16 23:20:58

I live near chew magna. Their school is very small. Children who don't get in, go to Dundry. They have interm heads and NQT's

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now