Help needed from Bristol parents who use Biodegradable nappies!

(1 Post)
MrsButt0n Tue 26-Jul-16 12:42:31

I'm setting up a service which will supply biodegradable nappies to your door, and then collect them, either on a weekly or fortnightly basis. I will then take these for anaerobic digestion at a plant local to Bristol. This 'biomethane' is used as a fuel and the digestate is used to feed plants. Therefore, closing the 'poop loop'!

If I (briefly!) give you a bit of my background - I've just graduated from UWE with a degree in BSc (hons) Climate Change & Energy Management, and a week into my final year I gave birth to my son. I know, I like to make things complicated! Anyway, I was determined to use resusable nappies but only lasted 2-3 weeks and I felt my washing machine was constantly on, and the house was getting damp as a result of the wet nappies being hung from every bit of furniture.

I decided to use biodegradable nappies (starting with Naty and then moving on to Beaming Baby). I like that the materials are primarily sourced from non-fossil fuels and also the lack of chemicals. It's true, we are a nappy rash-free household! It dawned on me, however, that I was just throwing them into the bin, and seeing as they degraded down at a much, much faster rate than non-biodegradables, I realised that they were contributing to the release of methane into our atmosphere.

That was when I decided to start the service I described before my "brief" background!

So, I am looking for a selection of parents in Bristol who would like to take part in a trial service. If you are interested, please either contact me on here, or email me at, or communicate through twitter @nappy_ch4nge.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now