moving to Bristol from SE London with 4 and 2 yr old - no idea where to begin!

(13 Posts)
Southtosouthcoast Thu 22-Sep-16 12:19:42

Hi - we are looking at moving to Bristol for work reasons - and looking for a better quality of life. I have lived in S London all my life and am terrified of leaving behind friends of decades - but London is getting us down ...

I want a creative/ play focused primary for my son - he is in Reception just started now - are there any under subscribed schools where we would be likely to get a place -

also - I want to move to an area with views + good parks - I would sacrifice view for a really good park but would prefer to be high up - where would be good?

And is Bristol as good people say?!

givemeaclue Thu 22-Sep-16 13:14:39

Hi, you can ask the local council about which schools have places. Good schools in Bristol are very oversubscribed as in you need to live right next to the school. However all reception classes are based on learning through play.
Views, Clifton if you want suspension bridge views and have a high budget. Harbourside if you want water views.
Anywhere on a hill!
Good parks, Victoria park in totter down, the downs in Clifton, Blaise castle is a big park. Hengrove for play park, best in Bristol, but not a great area. St Andre's park popular with some but it's mainly a patch of grass.
You are doing the right thing for using on schools but although it seems a way off, include secondary schools in your thinking as Bristol has some good and some not very good. The not so good ones are perhaps not improving as much as people would like.
Clevedon and portishead if you want sea views and don't mind living out of town, excellent schools both primary and secondary.
Lots going on its a nice place to live if you avoid the grotty areas.

RedSpecs Thu 22-Sep-16 13:39:06

I've lived in Bristol for nearly 20 years, and I do love it.

Primary schools are mostly pretty good now, state secondaries are improving, but from a historically low base so still not great. I have y6 child so this is uppermost in my mind at the moment. We live in East Bristol and have choice between our local secondary with results of 55% achieving A*-C at GCSE, or over the border in S Glos or BANES with schools getting 75% A*-C. I appreciate that results aren't everything, but it does feel rather stark contrast!

If you're coming from London I'm sure you have a much bigger budget that I do for housing wink

Brizzly Fri 23-Sep-16 08:08:52

St Andrews Park is lovely - really good play area and summer paddling pool, very popular with families. Lovely area too, although schools will be over-subscribed. If you have a good budget then move as close to a good school as possible to ensure you're at the top of the waiting list.

Westbury on Trym / Stoke Bishop also nice, with good park at Canford Park - good play area but not such a pretty park as St Andrews. Westbury Park also nice (but expensive) and on the edge of The Downs (beautiful open space with cafe, sports pitches, good for walking / running etc but no play area).

I don't really know South of the river well so my suggestions are all in North Bristol smile

givemeaclue Fri 23-Sep-16 09:31:08

I forgot to mention Ashton court which is easily accessible from all of Bristol but particularly abbots Leigh, long Ashton, Clifton and southville

UniPsychle Fri 23-Sep-16 10:38:01

What's your (rough) budget? Bristol can be very expensive in parts, though obviously not as bad as London.

These two houses near me have some nice views:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44380458.html
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41143278.html

I have lived here most of my adult life and also love it. School places are a problem though.

exexpat Fri 23-Sep-16 13:35:46

Your budget will make a big difference. The Cliftonwood area would also meet your criteria (nice primary in Hotwells, lots of green space nearby, hilly, views etc), but is much more like London prices. Eg, I rather fancy this house: www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43396014.html
At the cheaper end of the Clifton scale you could get something like this www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59418935.html (but no views that I can see).

exexpat Fri 23-Sep-16 13:41:44

This one might also fit the bill: www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42719523.html

WheresMyBrandy Fri 23-Sep-16 14:24:19

There's a stiener school in fishponds near Stapleton which is a really nice area.

Southtosouthcoast Fri 23-Sep-16 14:41:25

thanks everyone! That is al really helpful - UniPsychle I saw that house and thought it looked really great - to my London eye it seems very cheap - is the area decent?

I looked online at HOtwells as love the idea of being near water - but it looked as though no parks in the area?

Our budget would depend really - we could go up to 600 if we wanted to but the point of moving is to have a cheaper lifestyle and lower mortgage - so would prefer to keep under 500/550 - or even less!

Is Fishponds a good place to live- that Steiner school looks really interesting.

exexpat - that house is gorgeous! It is a bit above budget....

WheresMyBrandy Fri 23-Sep-16 14:57:31

Fishponds has some amazing victorian houses and a high street with cafes and shops but Stapleton is a better area. Stapleton seems really green. It's great for walks and has a village feel but you're right in the middle of either getting into central Bristol or getting on the motorway.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoke_Park,_Bristol
visitbristol.co.uk/things-to-do/oldbury-court-and-snuff-mills-p25511

One side of Stapleton is the Stoke Park Estate and the other is snuff Mills.

Southvilleterrace Sat 24-Sep-16 11:47:02

Hotwells is deceptively close (once the spike island pedestrian bridge reopens) to Greville Symthe park which is a good park. About 15/20mins walk. Also there is a little play park on st carolines place which is good for just getting out the house. Hotwells and Cliftonwood are lovely dream and the walk along the floating harbour from underfall yard to millennium square is possibly my favourite walk in Bristol

Southvilleterrace Sat 24-Sep-16 13:13:15

Should be *little Caroline place

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now