school change Yr9

(8 Posts)
polpringle Mon 17-Oct-16 20:40:25

my DD wants to change schools and although most of them are over subscribed we have narrowed it down to 3

Brimsham green
Bristol free school
& chipping sodbury

Does anyone have experience of these schools? good and bad points?
Many thanks x

lovinglapland Mon 17-Oct-16 21:43:45

The Free School had better Gcse results last year than the other two, however it was their first and only set - so not too much to go on! Brimsham has always had a reputation of being 'ok'. I live fairly locally and it is the preferred school in Yate and outcomes for top set children stack up well against higher performing schools - but doesn't look so strong at lower end. Chipping Sodbury again just OK I think. I've never heard anything awful about it. Good facilities at both schools, not sure about the Free school. If it's of any interest, the school a lot of people in Yate/Chipping Sodbury area go for is KLB just outside Wotton Under Edge. There is a bus from Yate area. Great reputation both academically and pastorally. It is in Gloucestershire LEA.

polpringle Mon 17-Oct-16 21:51:05

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately KLB are over subscribed. i still don't know if free school and chipping sodbury are over subscribed as i only looked at them tonight. Brimsham definitely have spaces. I rang about 9 schools today and every one was over subscribed

lovinglapland Mon 17-Oct-16 21:57:08

Castle In Thornbury? Colstons Girls (probably a long shot!) Bradley Stoke? Just trying to think of reasonable possibilities! Is it North or central Bristol you need?

polpringle Mon 17-Oct-16 22:43:41

She is currently in Castle, Colstons are over subscribed as are Bradley stoke. We live in Almondsbury I can take her to school but ideally somewhere accessible with public/school transport. Winterborne and Tate academy are over subscribed as are redland. Marlwood isn't an option for her. I never thought for a minute it would be so hard 😞

lovinglapland Mon 17-Oct-16 23:07:18

Pain in the neck journey - but straight down motorway, Gordano? I think Brimsham would be worth a visit. Not as strong on paper as where she is now, but that's not always the only criteria to take into consideration. Nice campus, small compared to some of the other schools, with good facilities. Maybe ask for a taster day and see how it feels?

polpringle Tue 18-Oct-16 07:42:59

Never thought of gordano I will take a look thanks lovinglapland x

crazymum53 Tue 18-Oct-16 15:18:27

If you are looking at North somerset schools would possibly also suggest looking at St Katherine's school in Pill as well.
I know a few families who have moved their children to this school part way through their secondary education who seem happy with it. This suggests that this school could have spaces available

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now