Local Talk

Book club...?

(229 Posts)

Does anyone belong to/know of/want to start a book club in Bristol? I've had a bit of a google and most I've found are closed to new members. I'm in Long Ashton but as long as it's an evening thing, can travel (a bit!)

Thanks!

boopbedo Sun 17-Jan-10 08:33:55

I'm in Long Ashton too and been idly thinking that it would be fun to belong to a book club. I've always been a big reader but it would be nice to have an incentive each month and perhaps an excuse to discuss some books over a glass of wine.

sarah293 Sun 17-Jan-10 09:34:02

we have started one. Meeting at Blackwells in a couple of weekends time having read 'The Time TRavellers Wife'
<opens first page>

bratnav Mon 18-Jan-10 12:47:09

Ha Riven, I am on page 20, only another 300ish in 2 weeks, no problem grin

sarah293 Mon 18-Jan-10 16:46:35

half way through now. its really interesting!

bratnav Mon 18-Jan-10 17:07:02

freaky speed reader grin

sarah293 Mon 18-Jan-10 17:11:34

grin
I tend to read while eating.

bratnav Mon 18-Jan-10 17:32:03

Why aren't you the size of a house???

Trying to read when DS is asleep but the damn housework keeps rearing its ugly head hmm

sarah293 Mon 18-Jan-10 17:51:12

housework? What is this housework you speak of?
grin
Not read any yet today but will probably read later this evening before taking dd to bed at 8pm. I rarely watch TV unlesss its Holby.

saggyhairyarse Mon 18-Jan-10 21:41:01

CS and Boop, I am also in Ham Green so not far from you. Do you fancy meeting up of an evening to get started? I would prefer to meet of an evening in the week rather than a weekend day as my DH often works weekends.

Do you know The George in Abbotts Leigh? Would that be good for you?

crumpetsolo Mon 18-Jan-10 23:01:32

I'd forgotten all about this thread. SHA and Boop - yes! We're on hols until the 1st Feb now but would love to kick off book club when I get back. Don't know The George but I'm sure I can find it.

boopbedo Tue 19-Jan-10 07:20:58

Evenings would suit me just fine and The George seems like a splendid suggestion. So just need to set a date and a book!

Any ideas? Just come ordered The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and With Their Backs to the World if they take your fancy

bratnav Tue 19-Jan-10 13:02:41

Now on page 207, really enjoying it

saggyhairyarse Tue 19-Jan-10 21:17:16

What about Thursday 4th? 8pm?

The George is on left on the A369 in Abbotts Leigh.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo looks good!

I don't know much about book clubs but am an avid reader, what is the drill? Is it just a question of read the book and discuss it on the night?

My DH buys me books that he hears reviews about on Radio 4. Maybe the one after could be:

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/oct/11/books.bookerprize2006

boopbedo Wed 20-Jan-10 21:14:56

Ooh, like your choice of book for next time. Very interesting.

Thursday 4th at the George for 8 it is. I'm the one with the shoulder length brown hair holding my book aloft!

To be honest, never actually been to a book club either so we can make the rules as we choose. Just read it and then discuss sounds good to me.

saggyhairyarse Wed 20-Jan-10 22:12:24

I have reddish-broown hair and glasses, i'll wear a red carnation wink

saggyhairyarse Sat 30-Jan-10 16:34:17

I only bought the TGWTDT today so will be doing some serious power reading between now and Thursday shock

boopbedo Sun 31-Jan-10 20:56:38

I'm only a third of the way through so we're probably on par!

crumpetsolo Tue 02-Feb-10 18:55:47

Oh nuts. DH is working late on Thursday so I can't come. Which is probably a good thing as I am only on page 5.. wink Hopefully will catch you all next time

saggyhairyarse Thu 04-Feb-10 08:27:29

Shall we postpone? I 'haven't got into it' and am on a par with Crumpet blush I've also got the cold doing the rounds at the mo and feel terrible but would have dragged myself out if Crumpet didn't come up with a get out clause wink

How does next Thursday or the Thursday after suit?

boopbedo Thu 04-Feb-10 19:26:42

Next Thursday would suit me. I'm only half way through. Only just checked the post so saved going out!

crumpetsolo Thu 04-Feb-10 19:43:32

Brilliant! Next Thursday is great for me - DH off work so can babysit. And it gives me time to actually read the book!

crumpetsolo Thu 04-Feb-10 20:52:30

Nooooo! Sorry - he's working nights next Thursday (11th) but is off work the following Thursday (18th). Rubbish. Sorry to be such a numpty, go ahead next week without me if that suits better. Will get reading now though smile

boopbedo Fri 05-Feb-10 07:02:01

Let's go for Thursday 18th then. At least means there is a stronger possibility I'll have finished it.

Really enjoying it actually. Never read a thriller in my life but really enjoying the style of it as well as being gripped

saggyhairyarse Fri 05-Feb-10 12:55:00

Thursday 18th!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now