Local Talk

Where to move to? Penge? Beckenham etc

(15 Posts)
bakerga12 Mon 08-Aug-11 14:08:28

Hi there,

My partner and I are thinking of moving from north london to south and would welcome any advice on areas. We have checked out Penge and think this looks like a good option but happy to hear opinions on the area, pubs, shops We have a 1.5 year old daughter and wanted to hear views about primary schools in the penge area. We really do not know much about south london and would again welcome any views on SE london...

Thanks in advance,

bakerga12 Thu 11-Aug-11 14:23:33

Anyone??

TheMonster Thu 11-Aug-11 14:28:46

I would go for Beckenham over Penge, personally. How about a bit further out - Petts Wood, Orpington?

tsa746 Thu 11-Aug-11 14:39:29

I live in Beckenham. There are a few good schools in Beckenham although only just started looking as DS is 22 months. Location wise - centre of town has places to eat and drink plus lots to do with little ones in terms of playgroups/activities/library and softplay. Also Bromley up the road for shopping but Beckenham itself you're spoilt for choice with supermarkets (waitrose, sains, lidl and marks'). Great rail connections - into Victoria or Charing cross depending on the station.

Price wise - cheaper houses towards clockhouse station and still only ten mins into Beckenham itself.

Loads of parks - three in Beckenham alone!

TimeForCake Fri 12-Aug-11 13:17:41

I think Penge will be a bit more up and coming soon, in a similar way to Crystal Palace. It is certainly cheaper than Beckenham but perhaps doesn't boast the high street / amenities / parks that Beckenham has?? There are lots of successful primary schools in Beckenham. Some of the Penge schools are sometimes seen as not as high achieving, but don't go solely by league tables. A personal visit is always essential and will give you far more of a feel for the school.

Maybe also consider Bromley, Shortlands, West Wickham, as well as Petts Wood and Orpington.

bakerga12 Tue 16-Aug-11 16:17:45

Thanks for all the advice

dobby2001 Fri 09-Sep-11 11:48:46

Hi bakerga have only just seen this. If you are still looking I would certainly echo what others have said. We moved to the Beckenham/Penge border over 12 years ago and have seen the improvements to the area year on year. The house prices are lower in Penge to Beckenham and alot of this is fuelled by people concerned about schools and crime, especially we found if moving closer to london (say bromley to Beckenham), we had alot of snobbery when we first moved but now folk dont seem so bothered.

Regarding schools alot of the failing ones have now had alot of investment and the OFSTED reports are not to be relied on unless in the last year I would say. The two most local secondary schools have also just become accademies and have gone overnight from being "not your first choice" to "highly desirable".

So if you are still looking I would certainly say go for it and would recommend area between Clock House and Kent House stations (although unless you have alot of money forget the Barnmead Road estate!)

Heres a good example www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/15238346?search_identifier=aa491eee713645859c65d56ef3853a1f

bakerga12 Mon 26-Sep-11 15:50:23

Thanks dobby!

CountBapula Mon 26-Sep-11 15:58:22

We're also on Penge/Beckenham borders. Alexandra Infants School is rated outstanding by Ofsted I believe. The Montessori pre-school in Cator Park is one of the best pre-schools in the country. There are beautiful cottages in the Alexandra Conservation Area. Penge High St isn't attractive, but it's functional - Sainsbury's, Boots/Superdrug, good caff and hairdresser. It's only half an hour's walk or 5 mins on the bus to Beckenham. Loads of parks, loads of stations serving practically all of central London ...

We love Penge grin

gottodecidesoon Wed 18-Jul-12 22:24:39

Any more thoughts on Penge? We are about to relocate there to lovely big beautiful house but are less than enthused by the high street. Any more signs of nice places opening up in the last year or so?

bakerga12 Thu 19-Jul-12 16:02:00

We moved to penge and love it, ok some parts are not ideal but this is London. The town centre has started to have a few little cafes and a nice italian restaurant and am hoping that the town centre get further decent shops and less bloomin fried chicked places!

supermum06 Tue 25-Sep-12 19:24:46

Lived penge/anerley area for 10 years..just wish penge would get more coffee bars/ decent shops etc..like beckenham..check out Anerley house prices just off elmers end rd/marlow rd..decent sized houses cheaper than beckenham..fo a house search in se20 7xz area..thornsett rd/ wheathill rd have lovely houses..huge
gardens too

Radiohead1 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:52:09

I've lived on the Penge/Sydenham/Beckenham border since 2007! I have to say if you don't buy here, in this market you are mad! The houses are huge the transport links are brilliant. Alexander Infant School and Cator Park Montessori are both outstanding schools. Also if you prefer private schooling there are lots, Dulwich College, Sydenham High, St Dunstans, JAGS, Rosemead! It is so close to Crystal Palace and Dulwich too. Really can't stand all the suburban Beckenhamites that constantly put the place down! The way I see it is, if you love London live in Penge if you love suburbia hell live in Beckenham and Bromley and die there in your own pool of dullness! Penge high street is functional but in the conservation area we now have a gorgeous garden centre just opened with a vintage shop and cafe that sells cupcakes and lovely soup too! I know so many people moving here from Dulwich and north London because they can't afford Dulwich and want much more for their buck but also still want to be close by and have good use of the East London line at Sydenham and Penge West. Also on the burglary front! It's London!! You may get burgled!!! Personally I could easily afford to live in Beckenham but can't stand the place because of the type of people that generally live there!

I live within 8 min walk to Clock House station and I love it - I can get to Beckenham High street or Penge High street really quickly. Transport links are fab, 20 mins into London Bridge or 30mins into Charing Cross so its handy for work and going out in Central London. I love that there are so many parks nearby and spoilt for choice in terms of supermarkets.

Plus tram into Croydon is only 20 mins so if they ever built a new shopping center (apparently Westfields but not confirmed) it will be great.

PasstheParcel Sat 09-Mar-13 21:31:00

Hi, We moved to Anerley, on the other side of Penge, in July 2012 and love the area so far. We managed to afford a four bedroom house, with the same budget we would have afforded a two bedroom flat in Streatham, for example.

We're delighted with the area. The Penge High Street is not that attractive, but as people say it's functional and I think we'll see a lot of changes in the next few years. We tend to use Beckenham more for cafes and restaurants.

I fully recommend the area. It's proven to have everything we wanted and we're still in London!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now