Local Talk

secondary schools in Bromley and around: Hayes, Ravens Wood, Derrick Wood, Ravensborough

(6 Posts)
janeze Sun 01-Sep-13 23:12:55

Hello there, we're living in Bromley North village but now thinking of moving for the good secondary (we've got two boys). I'd just like to get some inside info about the above schools, or any others for that matter. Perhaps your children go to one of those, or you heard something from other parents? I'd be really grateful for any input.

MulberryJam Wed 11-Sep-13 10:02:33

Darrick Wood has always had an excellent reputation. I know a teacher at Newstead whose daughter goes there, and she was not unhappy that she went there instead of Newstead (she's bright, she just messed up the test on the day). Horrible uniform, though!

Ravenswood seems to be going down in the league tables, and Ravensbourne is going up.

Have you considered Langley Park Boys? It has always had a good reputation.

Will you consider the Bexley grammars, or St Olaves?

VanillaLatte13 Sat 04-Jan-14 20:08:50

MulberryJam,
I have a boy and a girl in Launcelot Primary in Downham - I know - horrible area and schools.
The kids are in year 2 and 4 and we are looking to relocate in BR further for grammar schools. Can you tell me more about Bexley grammars and St Olaves, I have heard positive feedback myself as well.
I am also considering a 11+ tutor to work with my son from now on.
Greatly appreciated.

MulberryJam Sat 04-Jan-14 20:32:33

Hi Vanilla!

I know it sounds obvious, but don't assume that your DC will get into a grammar, even if they are tutored.

I do know that St Olaves has a poor reputation for dealing with any kind of SEN. And boys who are heavily tutored often struggle, and need to continue with their tutors, once at the school.

I know a few people with DC at Chis and Sid, and they all are happy with it, but I don't know anything about the other Bexley grammars.

If you are moving, I would make sure you are near enough to comprehensives you are happy with, though, as you cannot be sure your DC will get into grammars. If you have a boy and a girl, I would say this means either the Langley Park catchment, or the Darrick Wood catchment.

VanillaLatte13 Sat 04-Jan-14 22:06:39

Thank you for the prompt response.
I agree about the tutoring, however I work full time and am unable to spend long time to assist myself. Will ensure that they do the MOCKS and be prepared for the test - certainly, no guarantee.
Sorry for asking, I am new in the forum, what do the abbreviations DS and SEN stand for?

Is it true that if you are a school governor the chance for your child to be admitted is bigger, I have heard this, but does not sound very realistic to me.

Thank you once again.

grazipedras Sun 09-Mar-14 17:01:39

Hi,

My husband is going to work at the City and we are looking for a place to stay in London. Brazilian family with a 12 years old daughter and two pets.

Our budget for accommodation is up to 2k pounds pcm (ideally 1.5k).

What places would you recommend? School for the kid is our main concern. Some people mentioned that would be easier to go to a catholic school (she is already attending one here in Rio). Ideally, we would like to live in a house (3 bed) placed in a family area with good parks.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now