Moving to Petts Wood, worried about train noise

(5 Posts)
Keridesigner Sun 29-May-16 16:20:30

Hello lovely mums,
My partner and I are looking to move to Petts Wood. The house we're excited about backs on to the railway. Does anyone who lives near the line know if the trains are noisy at night?
We're particularly concerned about freight trains waking up our little ones.
Any local info would be really welcome.

peppermum Sun 29-May-16 22:32:50

I've been in Petts Wood for 18 years near but not backing on to the railway line. We can hear it in the distance. I've never heard anyone complain about noise from the line. You do occasionally hear freight trains or work going on at night but infrequently. Maybe depends on the length of the garden. Hope that helps and good luck with your search!

PettsWoodMum Mon 30-May-16 08:41:52

I grew up backing onto the railway in PW and then bought a house with an 80ft garden which was a lot lot closer then my childhood home. There are freight trains but not many and they move in a way that you feel the gentle vibration rather than a lot of noise. I was used to it and I am sensitive to noise otherwise. For me the premium of a house on the other side of the road was one I couldn't afford and I never regretted that decision as Petts Wood really is a great place to live.

Ginnowplease Mon 30-May-16 08:50:08

I used to live close to a railway track and it was just comforting after the first few days. And children love trains. So you take them to wave and then say they are going through the night too. If they have monster under the bed fears, you say that the silly old monsters are scared of the trains so of course they won't come to your bed, they'll go somewhere else.

V useful, trains.

Tobebythesea Thu 09-Jun-16 20:12:03

I live in a house that backs onto the railway. You get used to the trains very quickly. I rarely hear them anymore and we have the windows open now it's nearly summer. They have never woken me or my child. Hope that helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now