Primary Schools

(6 Posts)
7becky7 Tue 14-Jun-16 10:07:45

Hi there. I have just relocated back to the UK after living away for years. I now have children, the oldest of which is set to start Year 1 in September. Help!! All the schools are oversubscribed and we're facing the nightmare of choosing our list. Can anyone help / comment on the following:

-the Stewart Fleming Primary (a Pioneer Academy)
-Churchfields Primary
-what the commute would be like in the mornings from near Alexandra Infants (where we're going to be living) to the Harris Primary Beckenham (given that we may well not get into Alexandra Infants?...

Thanks in advance!! Any other advice much appreciated!!

Becky x

PettsWoodMum Sun 19-Jun-16 08:24:01

I don't know about those schools as am in a different part of the borough but our neighbours did in-year admissions so will comment on that generally. If the school is large the odds improve. Odds are reduced if the school is popular as even if parents move away unless very far they will keep children there. Check the oversubscription criteria of the school - you can go on the waiting list but if you are a distance from the school and the oversubscription criteria is mainly distance then you can go down the waiting list when others move closer to the school than you. Saying that my neighbours ending up having this children in one school a few miles away for a couple of terms and then got the local school that they'd been on the waiting list for. Good luck.

ruby60 Sun 19-Jun-16 10:58:58

Hi, no idea what Commute is like Harris Academy Beckenham is like but hearing really positive things from a few parents I know whose children attend.
Harris Kent House across from Alexandra just got outstanding I think in recent Ofsted.
Churchfields - people seem to think it's ok but I don't here parents rave about it. Know nothing about Stewart Fleming - but if you join the Facebook page Penge Tourist Board, people are really friendly and a hive of info on locality.
Worsley Bridge might also be worth considering - it's quite large and probably would be closer to you than Harris Beckenham - good luck with the move

CodOrHaddock Sun 19-Jun-16 15:04:23

Have PMed you OP

CountBapula Sun 19-Jun-16 20:20:48

DS1 is at Harris Kent House (just finishing reception) and is loving it. We're very happy with it so far. If you're going to be living near Alexandra Infants you should definitely apply there. Just got outstanding in all categories on recent Ofsted.

Mar3u5 Mon 20-Jun-16 23:56:33

I'm a school leader myself and am delighted with Harris Primary, Beckenham. I've heard only positive feedback from other parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now