Feedback on Bishop Challoner and Christopher Schools

(9 Posts)
conscience13 Fri 05-Aug-16 23:04:27

Hi there,

We have a 9 year old son and want to focus on getting him into one of these schools .Does anyone know these schools Bishop Challoner and Christopher in Shortlands orBeckenham, or know anyone who goes there? I can't find any first hand experience review by any parent or comment on it anywhere. Would really appreciate any thoughts anyone has on it. I would love to hear from any mums out there whose children have attended these schools. The first feel of Bishop Challoners from outside seems very nice, but unsure about the ethics and pastoral care,academics and bullying.

Ginnowplease Fri 05-Aug-16 23:56:05

There's commentary on BC in another local thread. I knew St C ages ago, PM me if of any use.

conscience13 Sat 06-Aug-16 00:05:32

Did have a look at other thread, but looks cloudy and simply floating !

Ginnowplease Sat 06-Aug-16 18:48:26

Er?

conscience13 Mon 08-Aug-16 18:52:37

Hi Ginnowplease,

Thanks for the feedback. I had been to Bishop Challoners today, there is some refurbishment going on like painting and other things. We had a good feel about the school and they are selective school . So results would come in few weeks. over all it gives a nice feel.

PettsWoodMum Mon 08-Aug-16 22:56:01

That's a new development if Bishop Challoner are selecting on ability or do they select on something else? Fit for your DS is only something you can judge and it is important.

Please also don't judge a school by its decorative state or the grounds (unless it's Dulwich which if I had a DS would be worth the effort trying for and possibly living in a cave as I couldn't afford the fees and a house) . I was swayed by the grounds and facilities at one school and it masked the many issues, one was that they often had a high proportion of NQTs which aren't bad in themselves but in high proportion and without support can be disastrous.

conscience13 Mon 08-Aug-16 23:44:32

I absolutely agree with PettsWood smile

True ....

conscience13 Tue 09-Aug-16 20:07:08

Can I PM if it is alright !

MotherofPirates Fri 12-Aug-16 09:30:23

Hello! I have kids at Bishop Challoner and we are very happy. We are relatively new to the school. It has a lovely atmosphere, great pastoral care and is a small school where everyone knows each other. It is non-selective, not a prep and not an academic hot house. These are all reasons why I chose the school. There is plenty of room for the more able to excel but it is not super pushy if that makes sense. Also lots of opportunities to take part in extra curricular stuff like drama competitions, cross country etc that I expect are the norm for independent schools but where new to us coming from the state sector. Do feel free to PM me if you want to chat further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now