second hand electrial goods

(8 Posts)

We are moving to Antwerp in July and found out our kitchen in the house we are renting is virtually bare. We need to get a cooker and a washing machine at the very least. Can anybody advise me if there are second hand shops in Belgium.
So many thanks from a fraught person in Switzerland.

skihorse Thu 17-Jun-10 14:00:50

hi Kreecher, yes there are - however the Belgians have absolutely no concept of the fact that once something is second hand it rapidly declines in value. Hence you'll find someone trying to sell a 6 year old tv for 800 euros. <eyes roll out of head>

www.mediamarkt.be would be your best bet - maybe even cheaper (for you) to nip over the border in to NL (Tilburg ?) for big ticket items.

Here is a site for second hand stuff, you might get lucky! www.2dehands.be/

Fantastic, thanks. We had a stroke of luck, the tenant in the house we are renting has sold us a lawnmower, dishwasher, fridge and freezer for 170euros. Now all we need to buy is a washing machine and cooker.
Is it really cheaper in Holland? Currently I go to France for our food shopping as it it much much much cheaper than Switzerland.

skihorse Tue 22-Jun-10 09:04:40

Oh that's a great deal - well done!

Yep, much cheaper in Holland - especially for food shopping! "Most" stuff is cheaper in Germany. Belgium is the biggest rip-off country I have ever lived in.

Then you clearly haven't spent anytime in Switzerland. I generally go to either France or Germany once a month to fill our freezer with meat. Even factoring in the cost of petrol for our larger than average car, I can save about 60%.

skihorse Wed 23-Jun-10 15:14:43

I've got a feeling you're going to find similar in Belgium... I've not found eating in Switzerland expensive when I went on holiday there from Belgium.

Expensive? Ever been to Norway? shock Spent 2 weeks there eating cheese puffs from the Spar! grin

skihorse Wed 23-Jun-10 15:15:54

When I lived in East Flanders we went to the Auchan in Lille a few times to stock up on 'everything' - saved a bloody fortune.

Thanks, that's very useful information. Only 24 days until me and DD movegrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now