Local Talk

Which independent schools have I missed?

(10 Posts)
MrsFogi Tue 19-Jun-12 21:07:09

I am going through the logistical nightmare of trying to line up house + schools for our move to Amersham. Originally we'd hoped to move as soon as possible but I think that we'll have to move in Summer of 2013 if we want to get both dds into the same school and not have dd1 changing school after a term or 2. So, dd1 will be going into year 3 and dd1 into year 1 at that stage. Ideally I'd like all girls but mixed would be fine. I've come across Heatherton (sp) which looks unlikely due to the waiting list. I'm also going to contact Chesham Prep, Gateway School and Holy Cross in Chalfont St Peter. Is there anywhere else I have missed? Also if anyone would be willing to share their experience of any of the private schools in the area I'd be very grateful. Plus, any hints on planning a move and schools would be very welcome. Thanks grin

Bubbless Wed 20-Jun-12 14:15:14

pipers corner isnt too far from amersham?
http://www.piperscorner.co.uk/index.php

Charley35 Fri 20-Jul-12 08:27:23

Holy cross shut a few years back. Have you tried St. Mary's in Gerrards cross and Maltmans Green in chalfont st. Peter? They are both private girls schools. Additionally Gayhurst in Chalfont st Peter also now takes girls (used to be boys only). High March in beaconsfield might be another possibility.

Hope that helps!

MrsFogi Thu 26-Jul-12 23:32:42

Thanks Charley35 I hadn't found them!

lifeafterlondon Mon 06-Aug-12 13:51:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

moonbells Mon 27-Aug-12 10:51:44

There's also Berkhamsted school, which is mixed, if you don't mind driving through Chesham to get there every day. And if you could get to Rickmansworth (about 20-30mins) then you have the Royal Masonic School (3-18 girls'), Charlotte House Prep (Girls, formerly the PNEU), and York House Prep (mixed). Another 10 mins will take you to Northwood, which has St Helens and Northwood College (both very well-respected all-girls, and right next to the Tube station).

SundayNight Thu 30-Aug-12 14:24:59

If you would like any information on Gateway School I would be very happy to share.

My son is just going into Year 1. I can't fault the school. He has had the best first year in school that a child could hope for. The school is very focused on the children as individuals and learning is tailored to ensure that each child can reach the best of their abilities.

we have been very happy with Godstowe in High Wycombe if you are still looking for feedback.

busymum999 Thu 27-Sep-12 13:30:22

Heatherton is a very small school and has merged with Berko. The parents feel that the girls are constantly being bombarded with soft marketing from Berko.
There are mixed feelings from the parents about Heatherton. Some teachers are very good- some not so. But to be fair, that might be the same in anyschool.
However... there is an issue with poor decision making and dreadful communication. The Year 6 teacher has just swanned off to Africa for 2 weeks, just before the 11+, leaving young girls at a tense time in their academic career in the hands of a supply teacher. So much for pastoral care!!!
Parents are not impressed and are angry at being lied to. The decision to grant a teacher holiday during termtime " for good reasons", came from Berko. So the Heatherton parents feel that the interests of the teachers are put ahead of the pastoral care of the girls. So- I can not recommend Berko at all!!! Also their adminstration is appalling! Beware!

Heatherton.... I have mixed feelings about. There are better schools out there...and there are worse. I like the parents!

Happytobehere123 Fri 21-Jun-13 12:36:10

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now