Griffin house/Gateway or Chesham prep?

(4 Posts)
Confusedmum1981 Thu 29-Oct-15 16:06:52

I'm looking at sending my two boys to a prep school....I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of them?
I live in Wendover and work in Aylesbury.

Karoleann Sun 01-Nov-15 09:11:25

My friend had her two at Gateway and they really seem to have falling numbers, her son especially didn't have the sporting opportunities that they have in other schools. Its also very small with limited facilities.
I know two other people that had/have children in Chesham Prep, one is very happy with the school, the other felt that it wasn't academic enough and pulled her girls out to High March (which I feel is too academic).

notquiteruralbliss Sun 31-Jan-16 11:48:48

I have had 3 x DCs at Gateway (youngest left 3 years ago) and they absolutely loved it. Not sure about falling numbers, but I guess the (relaxed but academic) feel may have changed with the new head.

Harpi Sun 01-May-16 00:21:42

Griffin House is small and used to have low numbers in the upper years. The best prep for boys is probably The Beacon at Chesham Bois. If you want a grammar school you do need children who are reasonably academic . A few people use the local Infant School and go for private after that. If you want a prep school do you want one that prepares for CE? Sport is a bit limited at The Gateway as they have little on site and non existent in any meaningful competitive form at Griffin House. Griffin House Did have excellent early years though. Just very limited in lots of other areas! Chesham Prep or The Beacon would give you a proper prep school experience. Most local very bright children go to the local schools though. 4 Oxbridge children in my DDs year in the Wendover schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now