Local Talk

thoughts on moving to swavesey?

(6 Posts)
sylviebee Tue 21-Feb-12 15:07:20

Hi ladies,
I'm looking at moving to Swavesey with my hubby and 3.5yr old son. I'd love your honest opinions on what kind of place it is please? I've lived in a few places around the world but am a homebod at heart and looking for a friendly community to settle into for us and our LO. Is it friendly and welcoming to new-comers? On paper it seems great with good schools, busway into cambridge, St Ives for local town, walks in nature reserves, eveing classes etc. Is it as good as it sounds?!
The schools all seem impressive but it's so hard to know without asking parents and I dont know any so over to you please.....
Also, any thoughts on pre-schools would be lovely. My little boy is more of the gentle soul rather than boistrous type so am looking for somewhere people can recommend as really kind!
Huge thanks,
s

rubyrubyruby Wed 22-Feb-12 12:20:15

I don't know this area but just bumping for you smile

I don't live there but I know lots of families that do - a friend of mine moved there from the city about 2 years ago and has made tons of friends.

Her DD has started reception this year and they seem very happy with the school so far.

Drop me a PM and I'll try and put you in contact if you like - I know she lurks on MN.

sylviebee Thu 23-Feb-12 14:07:19

thanks rubyrubyruby, i'm new to this and it took me a while to work out what bumped meant smile

Aunti bulgaria, great, i'll PM you.

keep 'em coming smile

mell242 Wed 07-Nov-12 08:08:16

Bit of an old post but was wondering if anyone else had thoughts on Swavesey. Currently we're renting in Histon but looking to buy and Histon's a bit out of our budget. We have a baby on the way and a 4 year old who would be starting school next year.

Are there any good baby groups?
Recommendations on local nurseries?/Childcare?

Thanks

besty27 Fri 09-Nov-12 19:24:19

Swavesey, Over and Fen Drayton are all lovely villages, Swavesey being the biggest with the most family centric facilities. Both primary & secondary schools great and very popular, so better if you can move to the actual catchment area as demand is high. There is also a RSPB nature reserve on the back door stop, with lakes and miles of walks and lots of kids activities laid on as well as the guided bus way. Not sure if you'd want a drive to pre-school but there is an outstanding pre-prep/nursery in Willingham called The Phoenix School Cambridge (Age 3 to 11 - but parents can just use the pre-school and get a head start ahead of primary school as their early years mixes play and learning to great effect). I drive my son there everyday from Fen Drayton. We have a couple of Swavesey families there already and it has a wonderful family friendly feel and classes very small with an excellent child to teacher ratio, so lots of love and attention. He loves it and has been with the teaching team since 3 (he's now 7). Take a look at the website at www.thephoenixschool.co.uk, the headmistress Mrs Daire is lovely and loves to show parents around at a time to suit you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now