ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Why are there so few MNers in Cambridge?

(226 Posts)

Just curious really, as to why it might be

ihatethecold Thu 01-Mar-12 17:11:17

Im in a village nr camb

Does that help??

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Thu 01-Mar-12 17:11:36

I thought there were loads of us?

flowery Thu 01-Mar-12 17:12:49

How do you know...?

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Thu 01-Mar-12 17:14:10

flowery threads in the past, people seem to have come out of the wood work

Really NKU? Well, I never meet any despite dropping obvious words in conversations with most new people I meet. People give me quizical looks if I mention MN at all, and The Cambridg eLocal section on MN is one of the slowest local bits on mumsnet.

I really don't tihnk there are than many of us.

I would even be willing to bet that not a single other parent at DS's school is an MNer. grin

and at the park it is not uncommon to see perfectly respectable intelligent mothers pull a fruit shoot out of their handbag and offer it to their offspring without glancing round their shoulders first or looking in any way embarrassed or guiltySo I can only conclude that they don't know about mumsnet.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Thu 01-Mar-12 17:17:00

I met one of my best friends in the village through MN grin

we were talking about homebirth and if our area was friendly, we ended up narrowing it down to a particular surgery then she asked if I was the lady who lived down the road from her who had had a homebirth.. the answer was yes... bit wierd but am really pleased we got to know each other, she is lovely just in case she is reading this

See, I tihnk the villages are fine, but here in central cambridge the parents are just not using MN. Maybe they're too busy with their research and engineering and science park work?

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Thu 01-Mar-12 17:20:47

Ah well there you may have it, if you don't include all the villages were there are hundreds of families you are keeping your area really tight.
if you had the same conversation about a similar sized area in birmingham or london or york etc you would have the same issue. (I think)

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Thu 01-Mar-12 17:21:42

What I mean is we are in a village but only 5 miles from the city center, most cities 5 miles from the "center" would still be city and not village iykwim

LaCerbiatta Thu 01-Mar-12 17:22:59

I live in central Cambridge :-)

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Thu 01-Mar-12 17:23:47

Yay OMDB - there you go.. you are not alone smile

Hi Tugamommy!

Trills Thu 01-Mar-12 17:27:51

I am in Cambridge, but you wouldn't spot me as I'm not a mother so have no offspring to furtively give fruitshoots to, or to chat to in Sainsbury's about penguins and pombears (and I get my shopping delivered anyway)

flowery Thu 01-Mar-12 17:31:46

NKU I meant how does the OP know there are so few. smile

You are right NKU, but I feel that even if we included all the villages we're still not a very large group are we?

floweryI guess I'm basing it on the Cambridge local section of MN being very very quiet and slow, nver having met anyone who uses MN or would call themselves an MNer (and I know that perhaps these people are all secret mn users and pretend they don't notice when I offer them a pom bear) but I just want to meet more.

Maybe there are lots of MNers in Cambridge but they never post in the local bit?

Hi TugamommyQ <waves> Do you have kids in primary school?

Trills Thu 01-Mar-12 17:41:46

I never post in the local bit. Except today.

That'll be it then trills. I hardly ever post in the local bit either. It's always just about people who are about to move to Cambridge rather than local people.

Trills Thu 01-Mar-12 17:55:54

I am only here for chat - so I want my chat to go to everyone, not just local people.

LaCerbiatta Thu 01-Mar-12 17:57:10

I do. Dd is in queen Edith.

LaCerbiatta Thu 01-Mar-12 18:00:07

Actually I also never met anyone admitting to being mners but I always assume that they want to keep that private. Tbh I mostly do too!

JacqueslePeacock Thu 01-Mar-12 18:03:25

I am in central Cambridge too!

CaveMum Thu 01-Mar-12 18:07:26

I'm in a Cambridgeshire village [waves]

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Thu 01-Mar-12 18:09:38

I am not in Cambridge but it is my nearest mn local. I have met two mnetters from Cambridge. (through mn, but randomly not through local)

There was a long standing meet up thread I believe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now