Local Talk

Best location for Perse School

(13 Posts)
GnTmummy Sun 12-Aug-12 20:38:54

Hello all, we are looking into our son joining the Perse school for reception and need to think about where might be the best place to live. I was looking at Sawston as there's a pretty good nursery there for my daughter (Babraham?) and i could swing by that, drop her off, drop my son off at Perse and get to the station at Great Shelford. It looks great as a journey on a map - does anyone know this circuit? Know Sawston - can recommend it? Anyone living in Sawston and going to the Perse??!! Any advice greatly received ;-)

iguanadonna Mon 13-Aug-12 10:21:45

Cambridge traffic is awful.

rubyrubyruby Mon 13-Aug-12 10:24:34

Cambridge traffic makes it tricky to 'swing by' anywhere at peak times.

rubyrubyruby Mon 13-Aug-12 10:26:55

Where do you need to get to from Great Shelford Station?

FatherReboolaConundrum Mon 13-Aug-12 14:23:28

Don't want to be too negative, but the Trumpington Rd area of Cambridge is in the early stages of a massive house building programme, so traffic is going to be even more of a nightmare than it already is. A Sawston/Babraham/Trumptington Rd area/ Great Shelford station journey in the rush hour is going to take you a long time.

jicky Mon 13-Aug-12 14:30:59

They run buses from various park and rides (but I only know definately from prep up, don't know about pre-prep you would need to check). So then no need for you to drive into Cambridge yourself.

GnTmummy Mon 13-Aug-12 18:09:28

Hi all. Thank you for your honesty! Gosh, sounds hectic and a real challenge-best not look to move there then. I don't suppose any of you have a general idea where people move to for the school? Know anyone at the school? My other option is Cherry Hinton-I need to get to Liv St. I'm not sure about this area though! Any thoughts gratefully received, x

jicky Mon 13-Aug-12 18:33:38

I guess within cycling/walking distance when they are so little.

Certainly older children come from quite a distance by train (the prep has a mini bus shuttle from the station so some must come in by train or I guess get left at station by commuting parents).

iguanadonna Tue 14-Aug-12 08:49:52

Live in a village on the Liverpool St line and send children in to Cam on train? Get an au pair to take them.

rubyrubyruby Tue 14-Aug-12 08:51:22

I'm going to be honest.
That sounds like a nightmare morning run - will you be doing it every day?

calendula Tue 14-Aug-12 13:29:34

As a popular school, we draw our pupils from a wide range of independent and state schools across a large catchment area. Pupils travel in from Kings Lynn to the North, Bury St Edmunds to the East, Bishop's Stortford to the South and Huntingdon to the West and all areas in between. About 40% of our pupils live within Cambridge City.

Commuting is tiring and requires a high level of motivation and personal organisation. For this reason, lengthy commutes should only be undertaken by older pupils.

Many pupils take advantage of the excellent rail services (we are a 15 minute walk or a short bus journey from Cambridge station) or the parent organised school buses. The school encourages the use of public transport and provides minibus 'pick-ups' from Cambridge Park and Ride sites.

www.perse.co.uk/admissions/frequently-asked-questions/

jicky Tue 14-Aug-12 17:47:30

What about some of the new build going on off Long Road or near Waitrose?

I suppose it depends how long until your ds starts, and the sort of house you want, but location wise they are on the right side and a cycle to the station.

septembersunshine Tue 14-Aug-12 17:57:50

Geez and there I was worried about dropping off at two different locations within the same village!

could you maybe find a nursery near the Perse then you only have one drop off(ish) which would resolve the school run problem (a little). Or follow the train line down and live in Great Shelford/Stapleford - Whittlesford? Meldreth? I can't remember the other villages on that trainline but I think there are a few that could work for you. I don't know much about Sawston but maybe it would be better to be easier... so maybe Shelford (expensive but close to Cambridge!)

good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now