Local Talk

Great Kneighton and schools

(11 Posts)
npa30 Sun 02-Sep-12 20:14:34

Hello
We are moving to Cambridge at end of year. My DD will be turning 3 and needing a nursery. We have looked at Skanska homes at Great Kneighton and liked the look of them. Though I know a community is far from being in existence there, it is close to work and Trumptington.
What do people think of that area and it's potential. It is far from town but on a good bus route it seems.
The only thing is that the likely local state is Fawcett and I cannot get a handle of if any good as none of my Cambridge friends know it.
Is it any good? The other ofsted outstanding school in that part of town is Spinney but not sure if that area is any good? otherwise am looking at independent but so costly as we have 2 children.
Can anyone advise? We are still far from decided and may rent first. We need space so central Cambridge is less likely though round mill road/ long road and newnham also seem nice. Thanks in advance!

Well I've lived in Cambridge all my life and have never heard of Great Kneighton!

npa30 Sun 02-Sep-12 20:20:23

Hi it's the development that is advertised as you pull into the station by train. It is next to Addenbrokes and trumpington

npa30 Sun 02-Sep-12 20:22:02

By advertised I mean there are a couple of big billboards advertising it at the station smile

ah, ok sorry! I thought it was some little village of which I knew nothing smile As far as I know, Fawcett is ok - a friends daughter went there a long whie ago, and seemed very happy. Spinney is in Cherry Hinton, which is a mixed bag - some bits are nice, some not so nice. We live just outside Cherry Hinton and the local primaries is Ridgefield - we didn't send our children there but got them into Morley which is lovely but very oversubscribed. If you're looking at Mill Road, depening on the end , you would be looking at St Matthews ( trendy grin) or St Phillips which is much improved from the olden days! Newnham is ridiculously expensive and had Newnham Croft, about which there is a long thread on here.. Hpe that may help a bit!

apologies for awful spelling...long day..

npa30 Sun 02-Sep-12 21:02:43

Many thanks !

Lilymaid Sun 02-Sep-12 21:17:03

According to the site publicity a new primary school will be built in Great Kneighton. At the moment, the nearest must be Fawcett (then possibly Morley), but you ought to contact Cambridgeshire County Council to see what the situation will be when your DD reaches school age. Builders are sometimes rather slow off the mark to complete the public amenities in new developments (such as at Cambourne).

Lancelottie Mon 03-Sep-12 09:48:41

I've one friend with a child at Fawcett who seems happy there.

npa30 Mon 03-Sep-12 16:23:00

many thanks. It seems we will have to rethink where to live. I know there are a lot of boards about primaries so shall go off to look at those posts!

CambridgeBabboe Tue 04-Sep-12 09:41:37

There is a new primary in the area called Trumpington Meadows, next to the John Lewis pick up centre and Waitrose. It is being built now so they are running it from the Fawcett site for the time being. My DD was at Fawcett pre school but we moved so she is not going to the school, however it would have been mt first choice had we stayed in that end of town. I think the Head is excellent, she is managing Trumpington Meadows too, very inspiring and visionary. Hope you settle in OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now