Local Talk

Anyone with children with special needs in Cambridge?

(5 Posts)
Shells Tue 18-Sep-12 02:49:11

Probably moving there in next few months from abroad and it would be nice to chat about schools and support etc. DS2 is 8 with ASD and ADHD. Don't mind if you'd rather message me and talk privately.

Thanks in advance.

Tingalingle Thu 20-Sep-12 17:20:56

Hi Shells,

We aren't in Cambridge itself but nearby. However, I do know that for secondary, there's a very good Asperger's unit at Comberton Village College. The kids get to integrate as much as possible into the main school but have a base to retreat to in times of stress.

Your son would (I think) need a 'statement of special needs' first detailing a need for quite a high level of support. Not sure if he already has anything like that where you are based now?

Shells Thu 20-Sep-12 19:16:21

Yay! I thought no-one would respond. Yes, I think we will need a statement and am worrying about that already. I gather we can't apply for one until we have an address (which we don't as yet).

Tingalingle Thu 20-Sep-12 22:00:32

Aargh, yes, finding somewhere to live is pretty crucial too!

Secondary probably looks a long way away at the moment but it could take quite a while to apply for a statement anyhow (if needed).

I don't really know the Cambridge primaries, but finding somewhere with a feeder school in the Comberton catchment area might be a wise move (as they are reputedly pretty good with all SEN). That's basically the area to the west of Cambridge. NB there's a new housing development (Cambourne) there with its own new school being set up.

Shells Thu 20-Sep-12 22:21:44

Oh ok, thats really useful. I'm going to google these places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now