Local Talk

Milk Delivery in Cambridge. Any good?

(15 Posts)
springlenner Sun 23-Sep-12 22:26:13

I've been thinking about getting a regular milk delivery. A few reasons really, DSs drink gallons of milk ( approx 21 pints a week shock , I'd like to support local business etc. I'm also trying to economise on groceries, so although it is slightly more expensive, I won't be going to the supermarket mid week for milk and end up with £ 30 worth of stuff we don't need.
Anyway, has anyone used the service ( I think there are two) ? Is it worthwhile? What time do they deliver etc?

We use Plumb's Dairy based in Balsham. They deliver sometime before 7am and usually get it right!

springlenner Mon 24-Sep-12 20:34:16

Thanks! Do you think it's worth it?

Lilymaid Mon 24-Sep-12 20:39:43

We are outin a village and use Plumbs. Our milkman is pretty good and delivers very early in the morning (sometimes before the time my DSs returned from clubbing)!

We find it worth it for convenience and supporting a local business.

GrendelsMum Tue 25-Sep-12 15:06:34

We use Plumb's Dairy too. DH (often working night shifts) informs me they deliver round our way at about 2am. We reckon that although it's a little more expensive, the convenience is worth it, plus we save money by not going to the shop to buy milk and coming back with a bag full of random stuff.

springlenner Tue 25-Sep-12 22:18:45

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try for a month and see how it works. My only "concern" is that we're on a street nearish to the colleges and it might be nicked by students! ( I know I would have!)

We had that problem at our old house, where there was a lot of rented accommodation. Plumb's delivered to our back gate instead of front door which solved the problem - talk to them about it!

ILikeToMowIt Wed 26-Sep-12 20:11:32

We're also Plumbs customers. We used to get deliveries from another supplier (can't remember what they are called), but then a nice Plumbs chap knocked on our door and asked if we would consider switching. We have been with them ever since. Always had excellent service and milk is delivered around 4am- i think. The other company's milk van always used to wake me up, but theirs doesn't (i think perhaps the milkman walks up the drive instead of driving to the front door).

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Wed 26-Sep-12 20:22:44

Plumbs here as well, we are in a village outside and as someone else has said I save money overall, as I am not popping to top up the milk and end up buying other things.

springlenner Wed 26-Sep-12 22:28:55

Right, I've ordered online. First delivery Friday! First time I've ever lived where a milkman delivers. V excited :-)

JumpJockey Wed 03-Oct-12 20:29:48

We used to have Plumbs, worked as well as any dairy except our front doorstep was right on the pavement so it often got nicked - in fact some gits stole my lovely old-fashioned metal milk bottle holder!

GrendelsMum Thu 04-Oct-12 11:41:25

Woke up in the middle of the night convinced we were being burgled by a less than subtle burglar who had had the cunning idea of driving a van up to our front door and then sort of clinking around on the doorstep.

So I can now confirm that Plumbs deliver to our house at 2.30am.

ILikeToMowIt Fri 05-Oct-12 19:25:00

grin grendelsmum, i take back the bit about plumbs walking up our drive too...
now noticed that on rainy days they drive up, at 4:00am on thursday for us. can't blame them though... nothing worse than getting soaked.

GrendelsMum Sat 06-Oct-12 18:21:29

if we keep on like we can reconstruct the Plumbs route!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now