Local Talk

Important Histon questions

(9 Posts)
BoredCommuter Fri 05-Oct-12 21:40:35

We're now living in Histon, we're getting down to serious questions, any recommendations for the following?

- Indian takeaway
- Chinese takeaway
- Hairdresser (i like the trendier ones with a bit of pampering)
- swimming pools, for a sunday morning swim with DD
- things to do with a 3 yr old on wet day

Thanks

HotheadPaisan Fri 05-Oct-12 21:58:13

Erm, there's only one of the first two!

Abbey learner pool is warm.

Softplay - Bar Hill or Funky Funhouse or the library. Or pop out in between showers to the park on the green.

ihatethecold Fri 05-Oct-12 22:24:40

Parkside for swimming with the kids in town.
impington just down the road for swimming.
My dd is having a swimming pool party there tomorrow. She is v. grin

Histon is nice but the traffic does my head in sometimes!

pucienne Sun 07-Oct-12 06:56:23

Impington pool does general/family swim (no lanes) 8.30-10.30 each Sunday.
Central Library sometimes does great art/sticking sessions on Saturdays (for free!) haven't seen one for a while though.
Scotsdales garden centre (Shelfords) has a fab kid's club but prob more from about 4-5 years onwards (also for free but need to book sessions in advance).
As well as Indian Ocean, Nasreen Dar at bottom of Histon Rd (town end) does frozen curries to store at home, fresh breads and samosas/bhajis etc and is a brilliant store in general. And not tried yet but Inder's Kitchen is a finalist in BBC Food awards for best takeaway so sounds promising!
Am also on hunt for a hairdresser so will see whether any suggestions come up.

mell242 Sun 07-Oct-12 08:40:37

Hi, I'm in Histon too.
The Indian in Histon itself is pretty good for takeaways - Indian Ocean
Haven't had a Chinese for years as Husband isn't keen. If you like Thai the George Pub in Girton is great and you can collect or eat in. If not there is a takeaway on Histon Road (by the small parade of shops). Heard good things about them.

Hairdressers? I go to Essenuals but friends recommend Scruffs in town.

I second the Abbey Pool in Cambridge. The toddler/learner pool is great and my 3 year old can reach the floor which is great for him. Lovely and warm usually too. I have used Impington in the past but not so good for a 3 year old (deep and colder).

Things to do? the library is great, small but my son has always loved it (reduced opening hours though). The Early Years Centre has lists of what's going on, there are several toddler groups in Histon. Bar Hill's Whale of a Time is a good soft play and there's Funky Funhouse in Town. Both are ok during term time (much quieter).
Welcome to Histon :-)

Biscuitsneeded Sun 07-Oct-12 18:56:49

I thoroughly recommend Inder's Kitchen if they deliver to Histon. Delish!

An0therName Sun 07-Oct-12 20:33:41

Hairsdresser -scruffs would be worth a try I think - bridge street in town -
the museums in cambridge are worth a look round and are free
cheeky monkeys I think in fulbourn - bit further but worth going to
don't miss the playground on the rec
the toyshop in histon is lovely
your 3 yo might enjoy the guided bus?

BoredCommuter Mon 08-Oct-12 21:06:51

Thanks, they all look great.

I'm currently deciding between Colours of Dance or Chesterton Ballet School for ballet lessons for DD.

By the way can anyone recommend a cleaner and ironing service?

pucienne Thu 11-Oct-12 06:17:22

There's also ballet lessons in Histon (methodist church on high st) on a Tuesday if you interested, think class would be at 3.30pm for a 3yo.

No cleaner or ironing recs, sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now