Local Talk

Moving to Cambridge - recommendations for villages?

(29 Posts)
joeybopp Sat 13-Oct-12 13:40:44

My husband and I have recently moved to Girton with our young baby but we are just renting here and looking to buy. We cannot afford to buy in Girton and are looking for recommendations for villages. Our budget is 200K for 3 beds which we realise is not a lot for the area. Good schools are top of our priority list. We are both Oxbridge educated ourselves but won't be able to afford private education for our son. My husband works in the city centre (Huntingdon Road) and I am currently a stay at home mum although I'd like to return to work when we've finished our family! We currently attend a city centre church and would like some green space for walks (we have just moved from Sheffield where green space is abundant!)

buryburybury Sat 20-Oct-12 12:09:40

NC

Sorry, no way with 3 kids to drop off/pick up and that hill coming home, it'd kill me

joeybopp Fri 02-Nov-12 04:23:38

Hi all

We've thought a bit more and at present narrowed the options down to Comberton, Bourne? & Cambourne (West) and villages south (Sawston? Linton? Royston and area?) (my parents lived in royston and liked it. Although not cam, schools look ok)

We haven't visited the southern villages yet but I like the countryside (hills!) and if there's any possibility of me returning to work in healthcare it would be more convenient for addenbrookes.

Is anyone able to advise on commuting from any of these areas? I've had some advice on the west but anymore thoughts appreciated too. DH works on castle hill currently with parking but his offices might be relocating to the city centre next year - not sure about parking. He works flexible hours as long as he does a 7.5hr day (usually without a lunch break) and all combinations of transport arrangements considered at this stage (car/bike/public transport). Unlike myself he's not a huge cyclist (despite the excellent cycle network here, although that might change once he experiences cambridge traffic!)

I know trumpington is being developed so this might affect the commute? Would appreciate any feedback!

Thank you!

besty27 Fri 09-Nov-12 17:35:11

Ever thought of going the other way - Fenstanton/Fen Drayton, Swavesey and Over and Longstanton are all lovely villages that would fall into your price range and there is the guided busway straight into Cambs that picks up from Fen Drayton, Swavesey and Longstanton. Not far from St Ives which is a gorgeous town, Swavesey which has an outstanding primary school and of course there is a RSPB nature Reserve (green space, lakes and walks for miles) that sits in the middle of them all, in Fen Drayton which my young kids absolutely love. You also have ready access to the A14. Just a thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now