Local Talk

Primary Schools application etiquette and a second question

(10 Posts)
Peggetty Tue 20-Nov-12 16:11:33

It's time to apply for DD's Primary School.

We are in the catchment for Queen Ediths and Queen Emmas so they are going on the list. They always get good refences from parents and I hear Homerton teaching students also rate Queen Ediths.

It's the third one I'm wasting time fretting over. If I put an 'excellent' (ofsted) school, is it a wasted choice as they'll fill up before they get to 'children outside the catchment who didn't get into their chosen school' or whatever the wording is?

My second question is one you've probably commented on before but I've had a look at the threads and can't see all my choices discussed on there: any recommendations for Colville, Cherry Hinton C of E, Morley (haha)or Spinney (extra haha)?

Thank you:-)

orchardy Thu 22-Nov-12 14:48:11

I think you have a very good chance of getting your catchment school, and if not your 2nd choice, so I wouldn't worry too much about the 3rd choice, but it would be wise to put one you have a reasonable chance of getting if it came down to that. You don't want to put three over-subscribed schools and end up with a totally random one if you don't get Queen Edith' for any reason... I don't know much about your side of Cambridge - I do know the Spinney is excellent, but will probably be full of catchment children...

mynameisnt Thu 22-Nov-12 17:42:47

Don't put Colville. No harm in putting Morley grin

WilderRose Thu 22-Nov-12 17:56:12

What is wrong with colville? It is a 'good' school according to Ofsted.
See no reason to avoid it.

mynameisnt Thu 22-Nov-12 17:57:55

Fair enough. Just a personal preference. We all like different schools for different reasons I suppose.

WilderRose Thu 22-Nov-12 18:06:16

It was just you were so 'firm' in dismissing it!
Think op should visit all schools she is interested in and leave all prejudice [good or bad] at the door of each school.
Don't listen to gossip/ hearsay- good or bad- and make own mind up through properly informing self.

mynameisnt Thu 22-Nov-12 18:26:23

you're right. sorry blush

WilderRose Thu 22-Nov-12 18:42:45

Oh- no I am sorry...
It is a bit of a personal thing of mine at the moment.
I just think hearsay can be so damaging and false impressions - good and bad- can be made.
Going to visit the school/ have a tour/ chat to Head and get a feel for the place seem to me best way forward.
Probably sounded a bit self righteous though!! grin.

mynameisnt Thu 22-Nov-12 19:30:40

I guess it's because we know a few people whose children go there and, this is going to sound awful blush, I really didn't want dd to mix with them. I can't believe I just said that...This was three years ago though. I actually parked near there the other day going to the library and it looks amazing with the new buildings!

Peggetty Sun 25-Nov-12 22:38:22

Thanks for the advice. DH thinks we can just leave it blank as he reckons we'll get one of the first two anyway.

I assumed it was pointless to put Morley as they are always oversubscribed.

You're right, we should really visit. Am being a bit lazy as it's the third choice slot.

No-one know anything abt CHinton C of E then? I thought their website and Ofsted looked quite promising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now