Local Talk

Advice needed please from those who cycle with children to school

(7 Posts)
dinosaursdontwhine Sun 16-Dec-12 17:08:11

A question for you if you cycle to school with your infant school child/ren: what do you use? Rear seat? Trailer? Tagalong? Unfortunately I can't get one of those with the "boat" on the front as my bike lives in a narrow locker at the park and cycle site on Madingley Road.

I have one child to transport, who will be 4 at the start of the next school year. At the moment I only have to cycle him about 1 mile and we use a rear seat or trailer. but from September we'll be cycling approx 3 miles, into the city centre, from West Cambridge. I'm expecting him to be very tired at the end of the day (in Reception) so my worry with a tagalong, when he's mastered the balancing, is that he would fall asleep at the end of the day and fall off!

I'm planning in advance because I want to buy a new bike for myself, and there is no point buying one that will accommodate the Hamax rear seat (on a rack) if you tell me he'll be too old for it very soon.

I find the trailer a bit heavy already.... dreading to think how it will be when he is bigger and the distance is longer!

claerwen Sun 16-Dec-12 20:25:29

I don't cycle with kids but thought it might be worth mentioning http://schoolruncentre.co.uk/ in case you don't already know of it; it's just off Mill Road and you can try out their bikes etc around their little yard. I also wonder whether the wheel size of a trailer mightn't make a big difference to how hard it is to tow, along with the weight?

claerwen Sun 16-Dec-12 20:26:31

Rats, forgot to tick the linkify box. Actual link:

schoolruncentre.co.uk/

That's better.

dinosaursdontwhine Sun 16-Dec-12 20:51:13

Thank you very much - I'd never heard of that place. I'll be going to see them asap.

ch3398 Mon 17-Dec-12 08:20:41

We made our reception child cycle 2 miles to and from school.

ChestertonCharley Mon 17-Dec-12 13:15:10

DS1 outgrew the trailer for longer trips when he was 5; he's not particularly big, so you might be OK to begin with, and I'm sure you'll get used to the extra mileage!
I think you can get seats for older children though, which might be worth researching.

Bikemammy Tue 08-Jan-13 22:14:57

Hello. BoBike do a rear seat for older kids, think it goes up to 8 years or so. Its a very simple, right angle seat, sturdy too. Kingsway cycles, cambridge were (maybe still are) listed as a distributor but when I spoke to them they said although they try, they cannot get hold of the seats. I have heard from another cambridge mum that she got hers from Chesterton bike shop by Victoria bridge. The shop owner orders them especially from europe. I may still get one too, as my youngest is too big for hamax now at 4 and half. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now