Local Talk

Local recommendations for companies for home improvements/repairs etc.

(7 Posts)
Cantabile Sun 23-Dec-12 17:23:12

My first post here... We are looking for someone to do several projects in the house - some requiring skilled building work (garage to reception room plus bathroom etc) and some 'handyman' works (garden fencing and small jobs round the house).

Not sure if we should use one company for both things or two different ones for the bigger projects and the small jobs?

Can anyone recommend a local company who are really really reliable, considerate, do quality work and are not too expensive?

Cantabile Wed 26-Dec-12 14:32:39

Bump?

Just googled and come up with a company called Fordham's Restoration Services? Anyone used this one and has an opinion?

Anyone else with a recommendation at all, please?

claerwen Wed 26-Dec-12 21:43:29

See my builder recommendation on this recent thread:
local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_cambridge/1639845-Need-new-kitchen-company-and-fitter-and-or-carpenter

We are planning to have some substantial work done at some point over the next few years and will ask him back to do it.

Cantabile Sun 30-Dec-12 19:25:21

Thanks. I can't find a website for him Claerwen. Does he have one?

Also, does anyone else have any recommendations so I can compare some quotes or has used the one I found called Fordham's Restoration?

It'd be great to get a few more recommendations from anyone.

claerwen Sun 30-Dec-12 19:55:00

I don't think he has a website Cantabile.

TinaPilchards Mon 31-Dec-12 17:26:32

Hi Cantabile, a friend of mine recently used Fordhams for a major extension and was very happy with their work and professionalism. Other friends have used Clarke & Smith and KH Construction (for loft extensions), all good.

Cantabile Mon 04-Feb-13 13:04:19

Can I just ask if anyone else has any further recommendations? I've pursued things to the estimate stage with one of the companies suggested - who do seem very nice but are also very pricey.

The first project is to restore some windows and their frames and add new double glazing units and repair an external wall crack.

The quote is over £7,000 and this is seriously less than the original price of replacing windows - but just for repairs around the existing glass. Seems a massive amount for a bit of sanding/ painting and new sills plus rather nasty looking double glazing add ons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now