Local Talk

Moving from Spain

(6 Posts)
madridka Thu 24-Jan-13 15:56:06

Hello, This is my first post here, Ive been reading some topics, but I would like some opinions for my case.
We are a Spanish family and my husband´s got a job offer in Huntingdon, so we are looking for a place to live(renting) We got 2 kids: 4 and 2 years old right now,. I am exploring the job offers as we think that both of us must be working in order to afford our expenses, so I think I could get some more opportunities in Cambridge. The main question is that I would like to live in a place where we could both move from work to home without driving too much. Of course the quality of schools is a high priority and also the fact that we are immigrants and going to get used to local customs and integrate with the villagers.
I have been thinking in Godmanchester, St Ives, Fenstanton, Papworth or Cambourne.
I realized there is a air base next to Cambourne, Is it not too noisy?
Do you think that living in Cambridge would be too far from Huntingdon?

Thank you in advance for helping

jaynebxl Thu 24-Jan-13 22:57:44

If you lived north of Cambridge with easy access to the a14 then the trip to Huntingdon would be relatively simple. Less than half an hour if traffic was ok. Godmanchester is nice, and close to Huntingdon, but if you were planning to come in to Cambridge to work that would be heavier in traffic than going out of Cambridge to Huntingdon. However houses out to the west are generally much cheaper than in Cambridge or the surrounding villages.

Lovecambridge Fri 25-Jan-13 14:32:14

HOla Madridka
No time now to do a long post but please when you move do attend Semillitas, Spanish Playgroup, we meet every Thursday 10am to 12pm and Fridays 4 to 6 Pm in Ross Street Community centre. Una de las madres trabaja en Huntingdon y hace el viaje en coche a diario, asi que igual no es problema. We´ll love to meet you and give you all the advice we can think of to help you settle y tambien para charlar un poco con un cafe mientras los ninyos juegan

madridka Sun 27-Jan-13 21:05:36

Thank you Jaynebxl.
Thank you Lovecambridge, I will try to go as soon as possible, so its great to know that I could commute Cambridge to Huntingdon, as it gives us more places to look for.
Has anyone received any negative opinion about Cambourne regarding aircraft noise?

CambridgeMinor Sun 27-Jan-13 22:08:28

Hi, I don't know Cambourne, but I don't think the airfield you mention is actively used. You certainly don't get large amounts of air traffic.

Have only driven past the airfield once, and it was hosting a massive car boot sale, no planes in sight!

My DH used to commute from Cambridge out towards Huntingdon and it's perfectly possible. The hardest part was getting through Cambridge, so if you chose to live on the west side of the city this would make your journey much easier.

madridka Mon 28-Jan-13 10:42:33

thank you very much CambridgeMinor for this valuable information, so I am going to focus on west-northwest of Cambridge and west villages, haven't taken a look at schools yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now