Local Talk

Commuting to London from Cambridge

(6 Posts)
tatty123 Mon 28-Jan-13 13:41:09

Hi

Does anybody do this please and what is it like? Do you get a seat there and back?

I live about 30 mins by train from London at the moment, so it's an easy commute, though packed. Thinking of moving to Cambridge, so have to factor in the extra time not to mention cost of a longer commute.

Hopefully the commute from Cambridge would be a short term thing as ultimately I would hope to get a job locally.

Thanks.

Melodie242 Mon 28-Jan-13 14:56:46

Hi, I did it for a year 3 years ago. It was long enough to be honest. I got the 7.15am then and managed to get a seat, just about. For me it was more the journey back that I found horrendous. It was a stampede at Kings Cross for any train back to Cambridge from 5.15pm. Short term you'll probably find it ok though. Good luck.

tatty123 Mon 28-Jan-13 17:44:23

Thank you, Melodie. I've been doing my current 30 minute train commute for 20 odd years! It also feels enough! Luckily I finish work mid pm so would miss the evening rush at least.

NewtoCambridge Mon 28-Jan-13 21:14:57

I've been doing it once or twice a week, I've always got a seat. The main issue is that it seems to take ages to get to and through Cambridge station, you need to live very close, otherwise it seems to add a lot of time on. I used to live 40 minutes out of London in a different direction, and despite being 4 miles from the station in both cases, it seems I need to leave twice as long to make sure I get the train in Cambridge

tatty123 Tue 29-Jan-13 18:54:53

Thanks NewtoCambridge. I do a 40 minute walk to the station where I live now. Will definitely be looking to be easy walking or cycling distance from the station.

orchardy Wed 30-Jan-13 14:38:32

I used to. Going to London is generally fine, and you should get a seat. Coming back form King's Cross isn't so nice but if you are able to avoid rush hour it should be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now