Local Talk

Willingham?

(13 Posts)
Melodie242 Sun 10-Feb-13 09:03:58

Hello. I was just wondering if any local mumsneters know Willingham? We've seen a house we like but we're not that familiar with the village. I have a son who will be starting school this year and would need a nursery place for our baby come September. We currently live in histon but it's too expensive to buy and we like cottenham but not much is coming up either. Would really appreciate some feedback to help us make a decision.

ihatethecold Sun 10-Feb-13 13:40:50

i know some people in willingham who have used the school and still have their son there,
ive only heard good things about the school, have a good after school club.

the village is well serviced, i know it has a nursery co op, few pubs, lovely cafe at the auction house. great bakery.

you can also cycle to the guided busway in longstanton.

Melodie242 Mon 11-Feb-13 09:25:42

Thanks so much for your reply. We're going to have a second look at the house and a wander around the village. I've just heard negative stuff about gypsies in the village but I'm not sure how true these stories are? The guided busway at Longstanton definitely helps us consider the area as we both work in town.

ihatethecold Mon 11-Feb-13 19:30:31

I have heard things about the gypsies also but if you are moving from cottenham then I don't think you will find anymore issues.
Which road are you looking at?

Noyoben Mon 11-Feb-13 22:08:59

We have our son at the Phoenix a lovely small independent school in Willingham- we drive or get the busway to get there- pretty easy. Have friends in the village who really like it. Phoenix has an excellent Nursery as well- can't remember exactly from what age 2.5/3 I think- not newborn....

Melodie242 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:23:02

Thanks for your thoughts, unfortunately we lost out yesterday on the house. Not sure whether to still look at Willingham. We're actually moving from Histon and were thinking of Cottenham because it's nearer for us both to get into work (Central Cambridge and Histon). My main reservation was the high number of gypsies that attend the school 12% of the school population. Maybe I'm just being a bit prejudiced? We'll keep looking...

WilderRose Tue 12-Feb-13 17:23:27

Try not to be prejudiced about traveller children; there is absolutely no need to be.
My children attend a school with a diverse catchment including many traveller children and I see that as a good thing. My children are happy and making friends with children from many backgrounds which is great as far as I am concerned.

CamMumma Tue 12-Feb-13 18:58:36

We looked at Willingham when we were buying, but decided against and now live in Histon. The final straw for me was having to negotiate the A14 to get to work. Saying that we know plenty of people who live there or in Over, who really like it.

WilderRose Tue 12-Feb-13 19:01:52

Ahh.. the wondrous A14..always needs considering when choosing somewhere to live!!

CamMumma Tue 12-Feb-13 19:16:01

call me a wuss but being able to
bike to work easily was a big bonus!

WilderRose Tue 12-Feb-13 19:29:22

Not wussy at all CamMumma.
I love the fact I can walk to where ever I need to go on a daily basis from where I live.

MarronGlace Tue 12-Feb-13 19:36:34

Hi, have you considered Waterbeach or Oakington? Both villages would be very convenient to get into Histon and central Cambridge and you can easily avoid a14. Waterbeach is a large village and much cheaper than Histon or Girton. There are a lot of nurseries in the area, some good and some bad (Stanton Farm Day Nursery, Scallywags, Girton Day Nursery, Beach Babies).
Please feel free to PM me if you need more info on the nurseries. I've just had to find a space for DS and have considered them all (would rather not express strong opinions on here!) .

Melodie242 Wed 13-Feb-13 10:29:53

Thanks again. I have been keeping my eye on Waterbeach and Oakington (latter proving to be a bit more expensive as max is £220 for a 3 bed). I have looked at the new Girton Nursery and am keen for my little one to go there if possible. I have friends who are using Scallywags too. MarronGlace will PM you, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now