Local Talk

Private schools age 15 and up for mix

(6 Posts)
Roxs27 Tue 12-Mar-13 22:08:53

Hi,
We are moving to Cambridge during the summer and was wondering if you could give me advice on the best private schools in the area that would be suitable for a 15 year old boy. Being this age its always hard to move to a new area where you do not know anyone. We are looking for a school that not only provide a good education, but very welcoming too. I appreciate any information.. Thank you very much for your time.

Granta Thu 14-Mar-13 21:33:26

The two main schools are the Leys and the Perse. The Perse is pretty academic and the Leys is becoming more so. There is considerable competition for both and neither are cheap.

Maybe best to approach them and request a visit as soon as possible.

BikeRider33 Fri 15-Mar-13 22:09:54

Isn't 15 mid way through GCSEs?

I think you will need to work out which school does the same courses.

I know the Perse does a mix of IGCSEs and GCSEs.

Cantusemyusualnickname Sat 16-Mar-13 15:21:57

What year is DS currently in? Are you coming from abroad? Leys and Perse are the only sizable private schools in Cambridge itself that take boys at that age and would, I'd presume, only ever have places for those entering Y10 for 2013-14 year (i.e. those who will be 15 between 1st September 2013 and 31st August 2014) and not for Y11. If your DS would be entering Y11 you would have real difficulties with schools although there are a few independent colleges in Cambridge such as MPW and CCSS that offer one year GCSE courses.

Oots Wed 27-Mar-13 12:36:01

You can also try St.Andrew's College, which offers GCSEs taught in small groups. Results and students behaviour are great. It's a small school with about 120 pupils and so it's easy to get access to the Principal if you need anything. The website is www.standrewscambridge.co.uk.

Ebird Thu 28-Mar-13 14:01:39

Have you looked at sancton wood, small class sizes very welcoming and fantastic results for Gcse. Check out their website, I believe they have an open day coming up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now