Local Talk

Garage conversions: recommendations of builders?

(15 Posts)
Cantabile Mon 08-Apr-13 16:25:42

Has anyone had a good garage conversion to home office/reception room etc recently and would recommend their company/ builders please?

I've found on the web a company called www.anotherroom.co.uk and also one called www.justgarageconversions.co.uk but I'd rather have a personal local recommendation if possible.

northofcambridge Tue 09-Apr-13 20:38:54

where are you - I know someone that people are v pleased with for extensions etc and I sure would do garage - as would most general builders - but I can't imagine he would travel far - as name suggest in north villages

Cantabile Sun 21-Apr-13 14:13:28

We're in the south/ south-west of Cambridge. Any recommendations anyone? Anyone had similar works done in the last couple of years who might suggest someone?

Very grateful for any replies.

Cantabile Mon 10-Jun-13 11:06:14

Just trying one more time to get some local recoomendations for builders? It would be great if anyone could make some suggestions.

Recently had a less than good experience with a company we thought would work - 'tested' them out on a smaller job and several problems ensued.

So we're still looking for builders who come highly recommended - ie good quality work, turn up when they say, don't smoke or play load radios on site, good communication with customer etc etc.

Any ideas anyone?

HelenLynn Tue 11-Jun-13 21:34:53

See my recommendation in this old thread (posted under my old username, claerwen). Meets all your criteria and more.

HelenLynn Tue 11-Jun-13 21:39:16

I should say, we didn't have a garage conversion, we had a chimney repair, which is rather different, but I think the people whose recommendation we followed did have more substantial work done!

Cantabile Wed 12-Jun-13 09:19:15

Many thanks. I can't find anything about him on the web. Does he have a website or any profile indicating whether he's, for example, a member of the Fderation of Master Builders etc?

I'd just like to have a bit more information before I contact him. Many thanks again.

HelenLynn Wed 12-Jun-13 21:01:49

Not that I know of, I'm afraid.

JimJamboree Thu 13-Jun-13 14:28:50

TJD Builders did an excellent job for us, a while ago.

SG29 Thu 04-Jul-13 09:08:27

I would suggest trying A & G Home Improvements. I haven't actually used them myself, but we have just moved into a house that had a major extension done by them which is top quality, and actually got a very positive review from our surveyor. As surveyors rarely have anything positive to say, this is quite a recommendation. We are in South Cambridgeshire.

Gown1 Sun 11-Aug-13 22:17:09

Hello just wondered how your conversion is going as thinking of doing the sme.
Would welcome any advice

Cantabile Sat 17-Aug-13 15:12:46

Hi Gown1. Have got a company ready to start in a fortnight, recommended by a friend in RL - but no idea how good - or not - they'll be.

Reasons I chose them include: they're a small recently formed company, although the directors have quite a bit of experience in the trade but are young; no VAT yet (although this may change v soon) and also very reasonable quote compared with other companies I tried; got a good 'feeling' about them from meetings - but of course things may all go horribly wrong and they may turn out to be dreadful (have had that experience before, sadly).

I don't feel I can legitimately recommend them until they're at least halfway through (estimated end point at latest is late October for 2 garages conversion - 6 to 8 weeks). The other thing to bear in mind is that whilst they're the directors, much of the works will be carried out by members of their team, who I haven't met. Have met the site manager however and he seems OK and has given me a schedule of works.

If you'd like to come back to me in a month or so, I can say whether I'd recommend them and give you their name.

Brickit Wed 04-Sep-13 13:53:06

Hi Cantabile
Would be very interested to hear how your garage conversion project goes. I have tried to find a recommended builder so would be vey keen to hear your comments asap.and any advice on starting a garage conversion

Brickit Fri 27-Sep-13 17:46:13

Hi Cantabile

How is the garage conversion and would you recommend the building company. Hope it is going ok for you

sebsmummy1 Tue 19-Nov-13 21:18:43

Hiya, we are also looking to convert our garage and then have a kitchen refit, would also be interested how your building work is going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now