Local Talk

Working for Cambridge university

(12 Posts)
BigTwig Wed 17-Apr-13 22:57:15

Does anyone know how payscales work at CU? I've seen a job advertised between £33k and £44k and would like to gave an idea of how much I would be paid (if successful) before applying.
Thanks

MarronGlace Fri 19-Apr-13 14:42:36

No experience of CU but I have applied for several jobs with a payscale and it wasnexplained to me that the starting salary offered would be the lowest. The higher salary is there so that you know how much your salary can rise to in time.
Bit crap, I know!

BigTwig Sat 20-Apr-13 00:05:18

Thanks for the response; unfortunately it won't be worth me applying as I get more than the starting salary working part time.

HelenLynn Sat 20-Apr-13 17:40:59

I've been through the University's application and appointment process a few times as a candidate/appointee in various departments, and I'm pretty sure I've at least once been appointed above the bottom of the payscale based on previous relevant work experience. The point on the payscale at which you would be appointed is likely to depend on your relevant skills, qualifications and experience, as well as how much they think they'd have to pay to get you (and make you adequately happy with the deal!) if you are their most desirable candidate; the appointing department has to negotiate with the central purse-string holders over what they can offer the candidate to whom they offer the position.

It would be an appropriate thing to ask about either at the end of an interview or in negotiations with the department if you are offered a position. In your case you would obviously want to tell them that your current part-time salary beats their starting salary, since if the department wants to appoint you they can then present a strong case to the central HR people, or whatever bit of the University now deals with this sort of thing, that they really do need to appoint you further up the scale or they just won't get you at all.

BigTwig Sun 21-Apr-13 11:15:24

Thanks that's very helpful.

LittlePoot Wed 01-May-13 15:35:41

I've also been through the process (successfully) and can confirm that you can be paid the top of the scale straight off, or somewhere in between (or in one case, slightly higher - not me unfortunately!). There are a number of 'spine points' on each grade and they decide when they offer you the job where to start you off on that range. Good luck!

BigTwig Wed 01-May-13 22:42:13

Thanks, unfortunately I didn't get the job. Oh well back to the drawing board ....

PinkyPonk37 Tue 07-May-13 12:19:00

Hello, am also applying for a job at the University. Its full time although I would ideally prefer 4 days a week and/or work from home a day a week. Has anyone any experience of applying for flexible working?

It would be a job in a central department, not academic, similar paygrade to the above.

BigTwig Tue 07-May-13 19:42:57

There is a flexible working policy on CU's website which might give you further info. Would post a link but don't know how to with an ipad.

Good luck with your application!

northofcambridge Tue 07-May-13 20:29:16

Pinky - my experinece of HE - not CU - is they are quite good about flexible working - my personal view - which isn't always popular is to raise it after you are offered the job

PinkyPonk37 Wed 08-May-13 07:23:22

Thanks. I work in HE at the moment and there is a lot of flexible working but its a very different type of institution. It does tend to be people who have been appointed as ft and then go down to pt after maternity.

BigTwig Mon 13-May-13 22:33:01

Hi Pinky
Just wondering if you got any further with your application?
All the best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now