Local Talk

Still flaming house hunting

(8 Posts)
NewtoCambridge Thu 20-Jun-13 11:12:13

I'm still house hunting, driving me mad. Sawston now ruled out as too far out, I was wondering if anyone had any views on living around cherry Hinton rd or Gilbert rd? Is there a big difference in the 2 areas? Seems not to the uninitiated

mynameisnt Thu 20-Jun-13 12:40:36

Well we live around Cherry Hinton Road and it's fine! The biggest bonuses are that Addenbrookes is really nearby - which means two things : close to an amazing hospital and house prices will rocket (even more) when the new biomedical centre is built, also the schools around are perfectly fine - Morley is where my two go/went and it is lovely. Additionally, you have Cherry Hinton Park which is like being in the middle of the countryside at times (bit of bugger with the Folk Festival, but hey!) I used to live off Gilbert Road too, but this was pre dc so priorities were very different!

WilderRose Thu 20-Jun-13 12:41:52

I don't really know either area that well [pre children used to live near both roads briefly and all was well]. Maybe check out if local schools near both roads have places in the year groups you want for your children?

orchardy Thu 20-Jun-13 12:47:39

If you're looking at Gilbert Rd do check out the schools. Milton Road always oversubscribed, although if your child is not school age that's less of an issue as you would qualify for a reception place if you lived the right end of Gilbert Road. Otherwise Mayfield is nice (and rumour has it due to be getting a much improved ofsted report imminently!) and Arbury is doing very, very well. St Luke's seemingly less so. I live in the general area of Gilbert Rd and I love it. Close to the river, Jesus Green, sports facilities at Chesterton, hugely friendly community, local library etc.

NewtoCambridge Thu 20-Jun-13 13:28:55

We should be able to get a place at mayfield or queen Emma in those areas, not a hope of Milton rd

Beechie Fri 21-Jun-13 15:17:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MayfieldPTAer Wed 03-Jul-13 06:56:40

Yes Mayfield got a better report, but these ofsted reports need to be taken with pinch of salt. Mayfield has been oversubscribed in the past 2 years. I personally don't dig Milton Road, I didn't like their fete.

orchardy Wed 03-Jul-13 18:52:02

The one when the heavens opened last year and all the kids ran around in the rain with no clothes on???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now