Local Talk

Possible move to Cambridge

(5 Posts)
italmum Fri 26-Jul-13 09:12:34

Hello everyone, I need your help! I may starting a new job in Cambridge in the autumn and I know nothing about the area. At the moment I live in Italy with dh and 2 year old daughter, so even checking out the place in person is tricky.
We would have to rent to start but looking to buy within the year - depending on the sale of our house in Italy.
Please could you give me some advice on where is good and, perhaps more importantly, where to avoid. Our buying budget would be around £200000, ideally on the train line so I could get the train to Cambridge to work as I've heard the traffic is grim.
Any advice very gratefully received!
Thank you

ChestertonCharley Fri 26-Jul-13 13:28:30

You might struggle to buy somewhere in town on that budget, so look at the villages. Whereabouts in Cambridge will you be working? Buses might give you more flexibility than train, and consider cycling too. What sort of amenities would you like to have nearby?

Have a look at www.rightmove.co.uk to get some ideas.

PartyFops Fri 26-Jul-13 13:30:52

Bury st Edmunds is lovely and 20/30 mins on the train to Cambridge. Property cheap as chips.

NekoKutsu Fri 26-Jul-13 17:16:01

You will need to go further afield. £200k is small flat price in Cambridge. Huntingdon is quite good as it's on the busway but as PartyFops says Bury St Edmunds is a better town.

Parts of Ely are often cheaper. Don't go near Peterborough - it's much further away than you realise!

primrosa Sat 03-Aug-13 16:20:19

Good Luck with your move. We are moving to Cambridge from Switzerland next month. We are renting first as well to get a feel for it before we buy, but Cambridge is a cut throat market so we asked an agent to help us find something. It was the only way to do it in a one day visit, but she was brilliant and I totally recommend it.

We know Bury St Edmunds well and recommend it there too.

Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now