Local Talk

Living out in the Fens

(12 Posts)
NewtoCambridge Mon 29-Jul-13 19:34:44

Does anyone live out in the Fens? We're getting close to giving up on Cambridge and looking at Wilburton/ Haddenham/ Earith/ Stretham. What's it like out there? I just keep being told it's "fenny" but I'm not quite sure what that means. What are the primary and secondary schools like?

WilderRose Tue 30-Jul-13 11:10:19

Is it cost that means giving up on Cambridge? Think villages you mention are fine. Haddenham has an annual steam rally I think [used to anyway]. Nice houses if I remember correctly.
If working in Cambridge maybe villages Caldecot way. Guess you have looked at Milton and Chesterton etc.
Further afield you have Huntingdon, Godmanchester, St Ives, Fenstanton, the 2 x Alconbury villages, Brampton, Buckden etc. However A14 a pain.
You sound fed up!

NewtoCambridge Tue 30-Jul-13 11:16:09

It's a combination of lack of availability, what you get for the money etc. I think ideally we would like to be between trumpington and cottenham, but that's not happening at the moment. The villages to the north of cottenham look like they would work for us. Don't want to deal with the a14 if we can avoid it.

WilderRose Tue 30-Jul-13 11:26:06

Don't blame you with A14. You have guided bus from St Ives but if you are working Trumpington end of Cambridge you would still have hassle of getting across Cambridge.
Good luck. [Also take Fenny comments with a pinch of salt].

NewtoCambridge Tue 30-Jul-13 11:35:29

I'm in town, DH at science park. Looked at st Ives, seemed to be too many traffic problems.

WilderRose Tue 30-Jul-13 11:43:10

Science park = Chesterton way but not a lot of house for your money as sure you have seen. Lovely walk/cycle to town by the river though from Chesterton.
Guess you have looked at Fen Ditton and guess too pricey [again walk/ cycle to town by river].

NewtoCambridge Tue 30-Jul-13 12:00:40

It's not even that Chesterton and fen ditton are too pricey, there is just almost nothing for sale

WilderRose Tue 30-Jul-13 12:20:45

Have you tried the Fen Estate in Chesterton? Mainly 3 bedroom houses.
Also Kingshedges Road has family houses I think. Don't write off Arbury. Great primary and the Manor School being relaunched as an Academy plus being rebuilt/ renamed.

WilderRose Tue 30-Jul-13 12:32:19

Actually all the primary schools fine round Chesterton, Kingshedges, Arbury etc. [Is it primary you are looking for?]
Hope you find a house soon as get impression you have been looking for a while.

Tid1 Tue 30-Jul-13 20:22:15

Oakington is a nice village, but if you want more for your money then Cambourne or hard wick are not too far out and schools are good out there too. There is not much in earith/ streatham and if you're willing to go that far out then you should look at Ely. Lots of nice houses/ schools.

theA14 Tue 30-Jul-13 22:06:27

What sort of place are you looking for NewtoCambridge?

thisisalmostimpossible Sun 08-Sep-13 18:11:31

"The Fens" don't start until you get north of Ely. Ely and all the villages you mention above are not "fenny". You really need to visit Chatteris or March to get a real feel of what is meant by "fenny". Suffice to say, villages up to Ely are in commutable distance of Cambridge, so still have their far share of academics, Addenbrooke's staff, computer boffins etc. Very few of those types in the Fens. But if you can cope with the vast skys, emptiness of the landscape and lack of any kind of shopping facilities, you can get a lot of house for your money! Read "Waterland" by Graham Swift to get a flavour of The Fens or listen to "On Wardle Fen" on radio 4; it sort of gives you the idea but the accents are all wrong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now