once again- Perse Upper v Stephen Perse Upper

(14 Posts)
lalalameansIloveyou Mon 07-Oct-13 15:08:15

I know this has been covered over the years, but am looking for opinions/views from any recent/current parents. Is Perse Girls as intense as is sometimes portrayed? My DD is bright, but young for her age and think a smaller school might benefit her. Is Perse Upper 'sliding'? Again- am talking about the upper- not prep. Many thanks

JennyWren1234 Fri 11-Oct-13 23:18:31

Did you go to the Open Days? I would say both seem to be very good schools, but offering quite different experiences/environments. My DD was offered places at both, but decided she preferred SPF (Perse Girls as it was then) so is currently in the Senior School there. She absolutely loves it. We haven't found it intense at all.

JennyWren1234 Fri 11-Oct-13 23:22:03

I should add that I have friends with children at Perse Upper who are very happy.

maggie73 Fri 18-Oct-13 12:21:36

My boys love the Perse Upper and I'm 100% happy with them. I too am trying to decide between Upper and Girls for my daughter. Anyone have any experience of both?

lalalameansIloveyou Fri 18-Oct-13 15:31:20

did you go to open days? what was your impression? I thought SPF was super impressive- girls seem to have a real sense of independence.

Cowardy Mon 21-Oct-13 18:33:51

I have a daughter at Perse Upper and it really still seems like a boys school to the extent that we are thinking of moving her after half a term.

lalalameansIloveyou Tue 22-Oct-13 11:32:02

Cowardy- can you tell me a little more about what you mean by it still feels like a boys school? very sporty?

maggie73 Fri 25-Oct-13 17:50:29

Obviously I can't answer for Cowardy, but the reason that I'm looking at Perse Girls for my daughter is that I think Perse Upper is more like a boys' school too. I LOVE it but my daughter loves being with girls - being creative, imagination etc, but I suppose it depends on your daughter. My boys really do love it and thrive there

bufforpington1 Tue 29-Oct-13 11:45:04

Cannot praise Perse Girls highly enough! (Old Perse Girl myself, so can confirm that it has changed beyond all recognition in recent years.) My bright all-rounder and v sporty daughter LOVES it. Not remotely pressured (has a policy of no homework in the hols.!), but excellent, stimulating teaching enables and encourages girls to reach their full potential. Excellent pastoral care, v supportive staff. Form tutors, heads of year and senior staff go to great lengths to know the girls individually. Seemingly few rules, but high expectations of conduct, with mutual respect and courtesy between staff and students. Grounded, diverse mix of students and backgrounds. Happy, spirited girls create vibrant, bubbly and stimulating atmosphere. Academic and non-academic achievements are recognised. Lots of charity and community involvement. Fab arts centre, plenty of sport, music, drama. IB at 6th form. (I know from experience that it can take many years for a school to cease feeling like a "boys' school that takes girls" and I know of other parents who are thinking of moving their daughters from the Perse Upper for this reason.)

yawningdad Sun 03-Nov-13 21:49:18

I have two DDs at Perse Upper. On balance probably it was a mistake, although I am not sure we could have managed the extra fees for Perse Girls. We may hang in until they are old enough for Hills Road (we haven't got the money to pay for two more years privately, or not at the upgraded Perse fees anyway).

Although PU seems sporty compared to Perse girls actually the PU girls sport is pretty weak (they lose almost every school match) and the school is not really academic; they don't stream in maths until year 8 and in science until year 11 despite having a huge spread in ability. That compares with most local prep schools streaming in maths from year 3 and science from year 6, so Perse dumps them all back together again with the kids they have accelerated away from. PU talk challenge but don't walk the talk (the head especially thinks "everyone is brilliant so no one is allowed to move ahead"). There are also class control problems from disruptive boys.

BikeRider33 Mon 04-Nov-13 00:46:06

But Perse girls is cheaper than the boys (although not by much) so this doesn't make sense.

yawningdad Mon 04-Nov-13 09:08:50

No, its not. Perse Upper is cheaper. From current websites

• Stephen Perse Foundation Senior School: £4,995 per term

• Perse Upper School fees per term £4,817

That was enough to make a difference to us. The gap used to be greater but Perse Upper pushed the fees up recently when they repositioned from academic to club med style privilege.

BikeRider33 Mon 04-Nov-13 11:41:58

But by the time you add on compulsory lunches for first 2 years, the boys goes over £5000 a term. My ds think most people continue with lunch. The girls includes lunch right up to sixth form (when they drop the fees).

Bug2804 Tue 17-May-16 22:34:32

Spf fees now £5700; highly spirited girls ... often incredibly arrogant and insensitive ...the more dramatic ... the more the teachers like it! Most girls here have a lack of basic manners. Pastoral care is not as good as believed ... some teachers referred to my bright but quietly confident girl as a liar after being called names, pushed, scratched and written on and had stuff taken as the well known bullies from prep were her favourites for her own personal reasons. Calmed down now as daughter avoids these girls... Schools attitude is we can't change their personalities! They take in new girls on financial support but do not support existing girls when assistance needed! Student is a mostly A student with some B's. The school is pushy ...not least some of the girls ... but there are many good things at the school to stretch their imaginations. Inconsistent delivery methods for homework. Email students on their pads at all times icluding midnight and 07:00 with work! On many, many occasions there are cover teachers, and sometimes no teachers at all...girls in daughter,
'S class run riot ... CERTAINLY ST TRINIANS. D taunted by girls when she went to find a teacher; on another time teacher was 20 mins late and told D off for going to find a teacher! Teachers often inflexible even tho caught out by their own lies and runs to principal who supports staff regardless of conduct. Couple of teachers are bullies. But stay away from them and stay quiet ... which is a shame if they are your form tutor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now