Local Talk

Primary Schools - Place Allocations Cambridge

(30 Posts)
LocalEditorCambridge Thu 03-Apr-14 20:34:03

Are you waiting to hear about a place? Is anyone else stressed / worried about it?

LocalEditorCambridge Mon 14-Apr-14 19:56:49

This week - I feel like I'm waiting for my A level results and that wasn't a good day I can tell you

AfricanBigElephant Tue 15-Apr-14 14:10:29

I'm very stressed! Dd is in year 3 in Queen Edith but we've since moved out of the catchment area so ds will probably not get in sad

Spoke to the head a few weeks ago who said they were absurdly oversubscribed this year...

LocalEditorCambridge Tue 15-Apr-14 14:15:36

African I feel for you. I'm so stressed too. We get the emails tonight at midnight don't we?

Fingers crossed - it's a lovely school . Do they not have the sibling policy then if you move out?

I think everywhere (just about) is oversubscribed.

arioco Tue 15-Apr-14 15:02:36

Do we receive the e-mails tonight?. The wait is killing me...

DyeInTheEar Tue 15-Apr-14 15:17:15

I don't know. Some LEA are emails at midnight but the Cambridge page just says April 16th - 2nd class post for those who requested a letter.

I'll probably be up tonight ...

[bleurgh face]

AfricanBigElephant Tue 15-Apr-14 15:45:46

They have the sibling policy but catchment area takes priority. I know in some schools in London (don't know if all of them) siblings take priority whether they're from the catchment or not. I think that's fairer tbh... how the hell are we going to do drop offs in 2 different schools??

LocalEditorCambridge Tue 15-Apr-14 19:34:06

Two schools runs - .... nightmare - one is stressful enough.....

I've checked website again and couldn't see any message about when the emails would be sent out - just said the 16th.

wine & flowers

AfricanBigElephant Tue 15-Apr-14 21:00:46

Thanks - was just about to ask if it would be worth waiting until midnight.

Just heard that a colleague of dh's applied to our school from outside the catchment area and with no siblings so it's one less we need to compete with! grin

DyeInTheEar Tue 15-Apr-14 21:58:20

That's the spirit wink

AfricanBigElephant Wed 16-Apr-14 08:10:08

Ds got offered 1st choice! grin

Hope everyone got good news this morning!

LocalEditorCambridge Wed 16-Apr-14 08:16:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AfricanBigElephant Wed 16-Apr-14 09:26:48

Oh what a shame! Newnham croft is so oversubscribed, they really need another school there. Most of ds's friends from nursery applied to go there - I'll be interested to know what the news are this morning...

LocalEditorCambridge Wed 16-Apr-14 09:28:57

We'll wait to find out the reasons sad

we're very close - 630 metres or something.

AfricanBigElephant Wed 16-Apr-14 09:29:24

You have good grounds for appeal though don't you? Wouldn't they have to provide transport?

LocalEditorCambridge Wed 16-Apr-14 09:56:03

yes they would. We'll appeal and see what happens but need to find out the reason for the rejection - if it was over subscription then need to find out where everyone else lived.

She's a summer baby so I feel a bit more relaxed because of that - if she has to stay at nursery for a bit longer while we appeal then it's not the end of the world because she's tiny! Barton is a lovely school - it's just the local thing that I really want. I want to walk to school and for DD to know people who live near her for playdates etc.

Anyway - over the moon for you - two school runs would have been crazy and the school is fab too.

MidsummerCommon Wed 16-Apr-14 09:57:40

Have to say that I think it is much fairer that catchment children are prioritised over those outside of the catchment.

We've got two catchment schools (one of which is Queen Edith) so had to decide to between the bigger catchment or the closer school, which is what we went for in the end.

If we move out of our smaller catchment, we might need to consider moving DS to a different school to get the younger children into same school whereas we are likely to stay in the bigger QE catchment, but we decided we had to make the best decision for DS and them worry about everything else later on!

MidsummerCommon Wed 16-Apr-14 10:00:05

Have you seen this, localeditor?

For Newnham Croft, it got down to allocation criteria three (so 1. Looked after children, 2. siblings in catchment, 3. catchment children) with the furthest child eligible in criteria 3 0.377miles away from the school.

MidsummerCommon Wed 16-Apr-14 10:00:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MidsummerCommon Wed 16-Apr-14 10:00:48
LocalEditorCambridge Wed 16-Apr-14 10:07:37

Midsummer thank you for that. I hadn't seen that at all.

The furthest away was 606 metres.

We live 632 metres away.

MidsummerCommon Wed 16-Apr-14 10:21:42

Oh, gosh, that's just a couple of houses then! How frustrating.

NewtoCambridge Wed 16-Apr-14 11:01:28

Surely that would make you top of the waiting list, so that might be worth a shot. There may well be children who end up going private or moving

LocalEditorCambridge Wed 16-Apr-14 19:27:05

Yes appealing being lodged tonight! Fingers crossed that some people offered have decided to send their DCs private or something!

Thanks for all your useful posts & advice.

flowers for you

wine for me!

Emmyweez Wed 16-Apr-14 22:18:59

I will also be appealling as didn't get any of our selection for ds, including catchment school of Morley. It would be interesting to see over subscription numbers for schools

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now