Moving into Cambridge , school allocation

(19 Posts)
joden Sun 28-Jun-15 20:44:04

HI all

We move into Cambridge on July 21st and i applied for my daughters space at 3 primary school on May 15th which they say will be processed in June and let us know by July 22nd which school she has got.
Has anyone else been through this process? did you get offered any off the schools out of the 3 you chose?
Thank you

Lizardc Mon 29-Jun-15 20:24:42

Not been through it but which schools have you applied to? Might be able to tell you how popular they are and what the chances are, as it depends very much on the schools in question..

joden Mon 29-Jun-15 21:21:32

HI , we applied for Newham, Fawcett and Trumpington meadows.

GirtonGirl Mon 29-Jun-15 23:28:13

I don't know about those schools.
Have you asked the schools directly if they currently have spaces in the year groups you want? This would give you an idea if there was a chance or not.
Also, it depends which year your DD will be in. It will be easier from year 3 up.

I hope it goes well for you and welcome to Cambridge!

rosemarie04 Mon 29-Jun-15 23:36:11

hi joden, which year were you applying for? you shoudl have good chances gettin into reception at fawcett. that school seems to be still having places remaining for september:

olivertheoctopus Mon 29-Jun-15 23:40:19

I would avoid Trumpington Meadows, it had the most horrendous ofsted late last year. Newnham Croft is oversubscribed I believe.

LocalEditorCambridge Tue 30-Jun-15 10:51:23

Yes I was about to say I think there's already a waiting list for Newnham but I can't be sure - the university primary school has already taken a lot of pressure off local schools so not such a reduced catchment.

Is this for reception places?

Good luck with move & welcome to Cambridge!

WilderRose Tue 30-Jun-15 16:26:16

If a school has had a difficult ofsted then usually the only way is up!
I would not dismiss a school because of a poor ofsted but would look at what they were doing to move forward.
Always good idea to look at websites and arrange visit to schools and appointment with Head to ask any questions.
Good luck.

northofcambridge Thu 02-Jul-15 19:50:49

Which did you put first - if there are spaces in that one you will get it. If there are no spaces in any of the school you will be offered the nearest school with spaces

joden Thu 02-Jul-15 21:58:07

HI, all thanks for input.
I did put Newnham first, then Fawcett then trumpington . Its for year 1. We re still waiting !

josie x

juno76 Fri 03-Jul-15 19:51:03

Hi josie, we've just moved to Cambridge and also put NC as our first choice. We didn't get any of our preferences for our older child but were allocated Barton (which I actually really liked but which was tricky for various reasons). As our other child did get a place at NC we appealed as we wanted them to be at the same school - we had the hearing today and were successful, to my great surprise. There were various things I unearthed which may or may not be helpful if you have to take this route so give me a shout if required.

joden Sun 05-Jul-15 16:49:49

Thanks for that X

joden Thu 16-Jul-15 11:08:15

Still won't tell me school ����

Avia Tue 29-Sep-15 20:12:49

Hi Juno76
I am also starting the process of moving to Cambridge with tow children (Y2 and nursery). I'd very much appreciate any advice on the process - thanks!

joden Mon 12-Oct-15 21:11:42

We didnt get told until about 20th August which school my daughter got! and she got her second choice.
Good luck its hard waiting to find out.
But she settled in really well
Josie x

JaneyBees Wed 14-Oct-15 19:11:48

Hi Everyone - any advice on secondary schools please? We are hoping to find a house in North/Northwest/west surrounding areas of Cambridge (I don't think we can afford to live in the city itself!) but as yet we haven't found a house. We've got 3 children, twins in year 1 and daughter in Year 3 but we are focussing on secondary schools as the primary ones all seem to be fairly equal (please tell me if we're wrong!) From Ofsted we have seen the 'outstanding' ones seem to be Swavesey and Comberton/Cambourne but I would love to hear from local parents about these in reality and any others that you feel are better/the best

Tingalingle Thu 15-Oct-15 15:29:38

I don't know much about Swavesey (except that it has vertical tutor groups), but you currently can't go far wrong with Comberton.
The slight snag is that schools change over the years, and you have quite a few years still to go before secondary!

JaneyBees Thu 15-Oct-15 20:58:20

That's true! Fingers crossed all round really - so many choices and decisions to make!!!!!

Netty26 Mon 02-May-16 23:37:11

We are looking at relocating next year, so will be going through a similar process. How did you go about applying before you moved to Cambridge? My understanding was you needed a permanent address to apply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now