Adult party venue in Cambridge?

(13 Posts)
AnotherEmma Tue 15-Sep-15 21:35:07

I'm looking for a venue for a 30th birthday party in Cambridge... any recommendations? Ideally I'd like a private room in a bar or pub. I'm aiming for a medium-sized party, probably around 30 people, so I need enough space for them but not a huge room that could look empty. (My biggest fear is hiring a huge hall and no-one turns up!) Ideally we'd be able to play our own music - if not I'd want the venue to have a good DJ. And good cocktails. Food isn't essential... Thoughts?

VicklePickle Wed 16-Sep-15 15:18:26

Vodka Revolutions??

AnotherEmma Wed 16-Sep-15 16:43:07

Thanks for your reply! I'm not really a fan of Vodka Revs.
I looked into the options last night and came up with Novi (new restaurant/bar where the Fountain used to be - it looks VERY different!), the Brew House and Baroosh. Two of them are already booked sad With 7.5 weeks to go I thought I'd have enough time but obviously not sad Oh and all three have a minimum spend on a Saturday - the Brew House is £1500 (!) and the others are £1000.

WilderRose Wed 16-Sep-15 17:28:27

Does the Golden Hind still have a function room over the pub?
Went there years ago. Not smart then but reasonable size.

AnotherEmma Wed 16-Sep-15 19:09:41

Thank you WilderRose, I didn't know they had a function room! It's a big building though so it makes sense. We live nearby and we always say the building is so nice, shame about the pub blush (We prefer the Haymakers!) But actually it's fine, and the function room could be a good option - I'll look into it.

northofcambridge Wed 16-Sep-15 19:55:50

Hidden rooms do parties i think - and do good cocktails

AnotherEmma Wed 16-Sep-15 21:03:47

Thanks north, they were on my list but also booked up sadly, and the website says the function room holds up to 120, so I'd worry it would be too big. It's a cool place though so worth considering in future.

I've just heard back from the Vaults, they have recently refurbished private rooms and don't seem to have a room hire fee or minimum spend, so they might well be a winner. I will have to a look before making my mind up!

So relieved to have options, I was panicking a bit.

NewtoCambridge Thu 17-Sep-15 21:48:06

Went to a party at the Hidden Rooms, to be honest wasn't impressed. I was going to suggest Baroosh, seems like you can book space there. I think D'arrys has some rooms you can hire, not sure about capacity or charges.

AnotherEmma Thu 17-Sep-15 22:15:36

Thanks NewtoCambridge, it's between the Vaults and Baroosh actually. I'll check out D'Arry's too...

orchardy Sun 20-Sep-15 16:00:52

I had my 40th in the barn at The Punter. Really lovely.

AnotherEmma Sun 20-Sep-15 18:44:47

Oh I didn't even think of the Punter! Used to go there all the time with colleagues. For that reason I think I'll rule it out (lost the job and it would be too weird to have my party there) but I'd recommend it to others.

AnotherEmma Sun 20-Sep-15 18:50:15

I went to the Vaults and was very impressed, btw. New owners took over in Dec 2014 and they've completely refurbished and changed it. It's classy but not pretentious. Decor is modern retro. Friendly table service and delicious cocktails. The function room is great - not huge but the right size for my party. So I'm booking it smile

Also had a look at the room at Barouche, would have been happy with that too I think (just prefer the Vaults). There is a balcony attached to the room which would make it good for a summer party - or for someone with friends who smoke!

beaker139 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:36:32

I have been to a friends 40th at Bourn Golf Club. They have a private room with views over the course and would recommend the place!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now