Perse girls.

(28 Posts)
Bug2804 Tue 17-May-16 22:43:03

Spf fees now £5700; highly spirited girls ... often incredibly arrogant and insensitive ...the more dramatic ... the more the teachers like it! Most girls here have a lack of basic manners. Pastoral care is not as good as believed ... some teachers referred to my bright but quietly confident girl as a liar after being called names, pushed, scratched and written on and had stuff taken as the well known bullies from prep were her favourites for her own personal reasons. Calmed down now as daughter avoids these girls... Schools attitude is we can't change their personalities! They take in new girls on financial support but do not support existing girls when assistance needed! Student is a mostly A student with some B's. The school is pushy ...not least some of the girls ... but there are many good things at the school to stretch their imaginations. Inconsistent delivery methods for homework. Email students on their pads at all times icluding midnight and 07:00 with work! On many, many occasions there are cover teachers, and sometimes no teachers at all...girls in daughter,
'S class run riot ... CERTAINLY ST TRINIANS. D taunted by girls when she went to find a teacher; on another time teacher was 20 mins late and told D off for going to find a teacher! Teachers often inflexible even tho caught out by their own lies and runs to principal who supports staff regardless of conduct. Couple of teachers are bullies. But stay away from them and stay quiet ... which is a shame if they are your form tutor. Teachers often take exercise books for weeks for marking, and hand out single sheets of paper for work. Occ homework marked and returned weeks later. Not enough support. Quite incredible. Think they retain students on back of name and name on CV opens doors? Give most support to those who are v high achievers where parents have spent extra money on musical, drama or sport opportunities, but school publish in their name ... documented elsewhere on mums net too.

JennyWren1234 Tue 17-May-16 23:14:53

I'm not really sure why you started this thread. What question are you asking or topic are you wanting to discuss? As a parent of a student at SPF I don't recognise the school from your description. Our DD has had an excellent experience there, she has supportive teachers and lovely friends with very good manners smile . The pastural care has been very good and a small issue we had a few years ago was dealt with quickly and effectively. We don't find the school pushy at all. It's obviously a high achieving school, but I think they have the perfect balance between getting results and not losing sight of the importance of looking after the well being of the pupils. I'm also a bit puzzled by your objections to students receiving emails from teachers late at night - what's wrong with that? Presumably the teachers aren't asking for a reply by morning!

JennyWren1234 Tue 17-May-16 23:39:21

BTW current fees for SPF Senior School are £5315 per term including lunches (£5480 from Sept 2016).

gardner30 Wed 18-May-16 07:16:48

I'd agree with jennywren, I don't recognise my daughter or her friends or the teachers at spf from this at all. They have done nothing but continually surprise with their diligence, thoughtfulness and kindness.

For example, the school has been so supportive of my daughter through very difficult times and the pastoral care (both formal from counsellors, from teachers and from friends) has been amazing. As for the rest of your comment it really just doesn't chime with our experience at all.

Bug2804 Wed 18-May-16 14:06:14

I speak from precise experience. Nothing more. The children are a reflection of the parents. Most are in denial and think they are independent thinkers... conceited and full of superficial self importance more like.

The school is not what it says. two wasted years... local free school does education just as well. Only difference is most girls have better manners.. never thought would say that.

There has been no Mexican wave etc, etc,etc just clever advertising. It is a business.

Note: No concern for our genuine experience and D friends there... only themselves...

Bug2804 Wed 18-May-16 14:16:27

The ipads are more teacher convenience and don't really enhance learning. Also, treats kids as adults in workplace. Kids checking emails on commuter train and before breakfast like an office worker. Incredibly sad sight. Clearly, you value a very different lifestyle. Indeed, you have not once shown an ounce of empathy towards our family and friends there with v similar experiences. Interesting and notable.

Bug2804 Wed 18-May-16 14:17:36

I am pleased for you.

Pinkbatrobi Wed 18-May-16 15:27:27

I'm not sure if this is just a rant against a school that you are thinking is too expensive (but presumably you knew what the fees were before enrolling) or not good value for money (in which case presumably you are free to leave?) or too demanding (er, what did you expect?). Are you just a well meaning mum wanting to discourage others from enrolling their children in SPF based on your experience? Because I'm thinking that might not actually work, especially since quite honestly the way you write tends to confirm that indeed the children are a reflection of the parents, and it might simply not be the right school for YOUR family? Just a thought.

Bug2804 Wed 18-May-16 19:26:59

Not too demanding... hardly! Entrance exam was the easiest ever! double standards springs to mind. Simply disappointed and disgusted with manners amd diligence given reputation...
. And you say maybe not right for our family. Well. our family have impeccable manners and not arrogant, so perhaps you are right. But, there are a few girls leaving and others experiencing similar issues with dreadful attitude if one is not part of the inner circle; with pupils asking others when are they leaving etc!! really nasty and cruel. That's our D's friend exp and also a b bright girl getting A's. These girls tho are typically those with the lower grades too.

And, yet another teacher half hour late for lesson today! Three teachers absent last week. Two v late for lessons. these are the facts. Simple. y would anyone approve of that? Rather strange response. You see, I have only stated facts. Truth appears to be unwelcome. hmm

Perilla Thu 19-May-16 15:09:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lalalameansIloveyou Thu 19-May-16 16:20:51

I also feel the need to add my family's experience which has been overwhelmingly positive. My daughter has made really lovely friends and received great support from her teachers. I honestly don't share any of the OPs issues.....

Bug2804 Sat 21-May-16 20:53:03

Oh dear .. You clearly have too much time on your hands if you have read replies to posts I allegedly made.

I responded to a post that came up on a search.

However, this has spiralled and seemingly hit a nerve amongst those who claim not know of these examples. I imagine a special little group. It might be that it is those responding whose kids are the problem at these schools!?

More pertinent, is the defensiveness shown in all the responses; rather than offering any supportive or constructive remarks to the very real experiences ... blinding lack of empathy 'oh it's not happening to us so we don't care" ... so not 'ranting and raving' but this humble remark of yours typifies the classic denial of any kind of bullying and arrogance existing. How terribly rude and ignorant.

And FYI, we are exceptionally well educated ... and expect better. Manners and humility cost nothing but mean so very much to good people.

Tingalingle Sat 21-May-16 22:41:24

Well, I must admit I don't know what point you're trying to get across either, and I can definitely guarantee that my daughter isn't part of your problem so I have no axe to grind.

What is it you'd like to tell or ask people? Do you need help in dealing with bullies or the school, or maybe help in choosing a better school for your child?

Perilla Mon 23-May-16 17:37:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bug2804 Fri 17-Jun-16 13:51:45

Oh my goodness. More defensiveness, rather than constructive comments; bodes well with the day-to-day functioning of the school - so you are in good company. FYI I did not use a 'scattergun' approach at all. Simply did a search to see whether others reported stuff. So many parents fed up and we have removed our Daughter now ... thank God; great publicity but certainly does not do what it says on the tin ... complete garbage. And, pastoral care is afforded to those who are bossy, pushy and love the stage to strut their ego. Totally nauseating and a disgrace. Dare to say anything against a scholar (and one becomes marginalised), despite having turned down an academic scholarship ... yes turned DOWN ... to avoid unnecessary pressure. Daughter has what it takes without further pressure. But, like I said previously, manners are everything ... and there is a distinct lack of basic manners at this school within the groups we have experienced. If this offends some of you then I am sorry, but this is our experience and that of others; to undermine this by your churlish remarks is no more than evidence that the apple doesn't ever fall far from the tree. Even a Professor and his International Lawyer wife are not sending their Daughter back there next year as they don't like the standards. Says it all.

Bug2804 Fri 17-Jun-16 13:54:33

And, Perilla, if you know of five posts I made then you must have made a concerted effort to search my username. How sad. Are you sitting at home all day bored while someone else pays the fees? Need to get out more ... perhaps get a job.

Tingalingle Fri 17-Jun-16 13:58:11

Between your last post and this, you've had two replies (mine included) asking what the issue is and whether people can do anything to help with it.

I don't have daughters at the Perse. Nor does Perilla, from the sound of it.

How on earth are you reading messages that say 'How can we help?' and interpreting them as 'Defensive parent of bully who was offended by my straight talking'?

Tingalingle Fri 17-Jun-16 14:01:06

Oh, and your posts show up because there's not that much traffic on Local boards. No stalking is required.

Anyhow, for the several-th time: is there anything people can help with here?

Bug2804 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:34:34

PippaFawcett Fri 17-Jun-16 16:19:49

It looks like the aim of this post was to damage the reputation of the Stephen Perse Foundation, it has done the opposite for me and made me feel sorry that they have to deal with unreasonable parents.

I also don't have any children there.

Tingalingle Fri 17-Jun-16 16:54:11

OK, Bug, be rude if you must. Still not sure why.

You're probably right, Pippa, but no doubt your post will somehow constitute a defensive kneejerk reaction by Perse parents as well.

Some people are odd.

gardner30 Sat 18-Jun-16 19:36:37

" And, pastoral care is afforded to those who are bossy, pushy and love the stage to strut their ego. Totally nauseating and a disgrace. "

That's really low. Why do you think pupils need pastoral care? I mean really, think about what you've just said for a minute.

Bug2804 Wed 29-Jun-16 20:47:49

Thought about it. Those who need the pastoral care don't get it ... too busy stroking the brow of the guilty. Read the post and think about it. This is not fiction Gardener .. it is actually happening. But thanks anyhow.

Bug2804 Wed 29-Jun-16 20:49:26

Yes they are ... it would seem when a nerve is touched ... get the feeling you know exactly what is being discussed here ... how curious.

Bug2804 Wed 29-Jun-16 20:51:54

How rude. This is based on fact and not fiction. You should be thankful it is not happening to you. Some people dont like to hear the truth. Why would you be so unkind.. Sounds as though you would be right at home there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now